A question of ethics!

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Leopardess said:
Mm, fish adapt extrememly well to life without sight. They have the advantage of lateral line systems that we do not have. As long as no massive infection takes place and he still swims around, eating, I see no real reason to put him down. That's my 2c.
lateral line systems...whazzat... ???

my vote is to keep him swimming too ... :)

Feb 3, 2006
Ireland
Well it seems to be doing fine and it is still foraging for food in the substrate; I have been feeding it sinking pellets so that he should be able to find it and it does. I might hang on to him for the moment and see how he does, but at the first sign of stress or physical decline I’m going to have to send it to fishy heaven. FroggyFox I like the idea of using alcohol, if the time comes I can stay up late with it one night and play drinking games. Lets just hope I can handle my drink better than the fish. Can you imagine how embarrassed you would be if you passed out then woke up the next morning to find the fish still alive!!!!

Thanks for the input

denis

Feb 3, 2006
Ireland
Isn’t the lateral line only used to identify other living things? All creatures (big/small) give of an electric current (of sorts). The lateral line acts as an elector magnetic field and when another live creature moves into the field the fish is made aware of its presence. Therefore I don’t think that the lateral line will be any help in locating flakes or pellets.

This comment in not fact, but I remember reading it somewhere or something along those lines.

denis

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
FroggyFox said:
Clove oil is the same you'd use for cooking...not sure about aromatherapy but probably the same thing. You can also use vodka or another strong alcohol if you dont have any clove oil.
I think that if I knew of anyone who used either the knife or the blender I would need H U M U N G U S amounts of the Alchol for myself !!!

*crazysmil *twirlysmi *twirlysmi

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
MAn, that is the third time I have read about Pure and his blender....... AGHHHHH. IT gives me chills and shivers everytime! :eek: I couldn't push the button. IT is almost like listening to lobsters squel when you boil them!! *crazysmil I just couldn't listen to that horrible hum of the blender!! :D (Shaunna's stomach turns as she thinks of eating pizza *SUPERSMIL

I wasn't necessarily implying that it would help them eat. I am saying that they can sense when they will bump into things, walls, fish, etc. I do also believe that the sensory pits are minutely tuned to water flow and electrical impulses that we humans can't even understand...so I do have to think they can detect food falling around them.

Feb 3, 2006
Ireland
The other ironic thing that has occurred with this blinding scenario is that I had been planning on using the recovery bowl for a betta. I had just ordered a clip on aquarium light for the tank, so now the new question is.

Do blind fish need light to see?

Thank to all for their input.

denis

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The lateral line is a sensory organ which runs down both sides of the fish. Look at any of your fish and you'll see a row of 'pores' -- that's the lateral line. This is why it is so darn hard to sneak up on a fish. ;)

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
I try not to get too attached to my fish. They're just another part of the tank to me. As explained, however, blindness doesn't impinge much on an aquarium fish's ability to feed. I've even found wild fish of several years in age, with no eyes and injuries long healed, in very much good health.

In my house, he'd be turtle-food.

Feb 3, 2006
Ireland
Doing fine

Its been over a month now since my Moore was savaged and blinded. To my surprise he has done exceptionally well. The eyes healed with no sign of infection and his gills have repaired themselves and he’s looking very well despite that fact he has no eyes. He is feeding immediately; he is more responsive to the presence of food than the other Moore in the tank.

Tanks for the responses to my original post last month

No need to reply to this one.

Cheers denis