adding marine salt how much?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
JWright said:
Don't add marine salt. Table salt will work fine, and is usually readily on hand.

2 teaspoons per gallon should do the trick. Bump your temp up to 86 or so to speed the process up.
Marine salt and table salt both are not recommended for freshwater fish. Only aquarium salt is recommened. According to what i know table salt is not good.

Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt at PETCO

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
JWright said:
Ok, why isn't table salt not good for fish?

There isn't enough iodine or anything else in table salt to be even the least bit toxic at the concentrations we're talking about.

Well the table salt in stores have additives such as iodine. If the salt is Non-Iodized then it is commanly sold as aquarium salt. What i was trying to say is that you can not use standard table salt!

"Common table salt is suitable, however it should be non-iodized and contain no additives. Rock or Kosher salt are excellent choices, as they are straight sodium chloride with nothing else added."

"Table salt contains additives which you may not want in your tank. Most opponents to table salt cite the addition of Potassium Iodide to the salt, but I do not believe this is a concern. However, many brands of salt contain anti-caking agents such as Yellow Prussiate of Soda, which contains Cyanide. Yes, the dosage is quite small, but why would you WANT to add something potentially harmful to fish when there are readily available alternatives."

Last edited:

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I've read that by the time you've added enough table salt to kill the fish with iodine, they've already been pickled. I've never tested that theory tho.

Just wondering, how does the anti-clumping agent affect the fish, if at all?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
I'm aware that table salt has additives such as iodine. I think I might have mentioned that up above somewhere....

(The following section comes from The Skeptical Aquarist I would definitely recommend reading the whole article)

"Fears about toxicity of the iodine represented in table salt are still often expressed in warnings not to use iodized salt in the aquarium. Potassium iodide (sometimes it's sodium iodide) in U.S. iodized table salt ranges from 20 to 40 parts per million. So what part per million of iodide does that potassium iodide represent?

I'm innumerative. The ppm iodide were worked out by aquariaddictus in a thread at AquariaCentral, started 1 March 2003 (you can find it at AC: search "iodized salt ppm iodide"). Aquariaddictus pointed out that there is no elemental iodine in KI, just as there is no free chlorine in table salt. Iodide is I-, while iodine is I2, as chloride is Cl- while chlorine is Cl2. The terms aren't interchangable.

Potassium is number 19 on the periodic table, Iodine is number 53. So pure KI is 73% iodide. Thus the iodide in the potassium iodide additive is between 14.6 - 29.2 ppm in the dry salt.

KI weighs 15.38 grams per teaspoon. So, 15.38 grams/one teaspoon per gallon = 15.38 grams per 3.7854 liters = 4 ppm as KI. If you add iodized salt at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon, you are adding iodide in the range of 0.083 - 0.166ppm.

After laying out the calculations, aquariaddictus remarked, "All in all, I have to believe it's a drop in the bucket. Does anyone use a tablespoon/gallon except in times of severe disease?""

There's my support for my statement that the amount of iodine (or any other additive) is in such small quantities, that it doesn't matter.

~JW

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
If you do put salt in your tanks to treat ich, and all the white dots have disappeared but the fish are still flashing, could it be the salt in the tank? Or is the parasite likely still in the tank?

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
i bought aquarium salt for fw fish and set up a new tank for my 3 fry... cuz otto got stuck on the net...

and low and behold they had a sale buy one get one so i got 2 blue rams for only 4.99 >.> and 2 yoyo loach for 6.98(got the loaches cuz i thought oto was done for... but i got him free and he seems fine...

Last edited:

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Kosher dalt not only doesnt conatin I, it also have void of such minerals as Mg, Mn, K, Fe, S, and even very small traces of Cu that can be harmful in excess quantitities, Do a simple google on the aditives in common salt. Accurate info, again !!!

Rohn

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
It's very easy to say "go google it". Apparently it's a lot harder to provide a link.

Common anti-caking agents include sodium aluminosilicate, calcium silicate and sodium bicarbonate. Of those, only the first could be of any concern, and if you work out the math, you find that the amount of aluminium is very insignificant at the dosages and durations we're talking about.