adding water straight from tap

stef25

Medium Fish
Nov 28, 2005
Brussels, Belgium
When refilling my tank after a water change, I don’t really want to use a bucket because it stirs everything up and creates a mess. Id rather not use a plate in the tank because I have a pair of extremely nervous bala’s

So, I have some tubing that goes from my tap straight into the tank. Problem is, I can not add the water conditioning stuff. Is it a problem to add the water conditioning stuff into the tank first and then add tap water, so it is only being mixed IN the tank instead of in a bucket beforehand?

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I wouldn't add tap straight to my tank and then try and treat it, especially if you have inverts in there. Inverts are super-sensitive to copper, and tap has lots of copper (usually). If you don't want to disturb anything (I know the feeling) have someone hold a plate or something in the path of the water being poured into the tank so it distributes the flow much more evenly rather than all at once.

I know the exact feeling of what you mean when you say that you don't want to disturb anything in your tank. I just tough it out and keep pouring it in very slowly. Keep in mind that my 10g is right at shoulder level, so I have to lift the bucket up that high and keep it there for quite some time. I know it's annoying, but I think you'll eventually learn to deal with it. I have.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
I do that all the time. I have a hose that reaches the sink to the tank and put the water in the add declorinator. Add it while you are filling it a little at at time.

Last edited:

jasnfeller

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2006
I have a python system and do that, although aside frommy cory's I have very hardy fish....From what I know the balas should be okay with some slight changes...just watch how much you change each time...if you are doing 20-25% changes it should be no problem.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
I can't do the bucket method with the 125 that would be killer so we use a sup pump in the tub with a bucket and pump the water into the tank. I can add the Prime as it goes in or sometimes I fill it then add the Prime (that's the declorinator I use) and it seems to work well. I do the same for my Angels and they seem to be ok with it too.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
i add the declor into tank then the water. I use the python systom and couldn't figue out any other way, haven't had any problems yet *knockingonwood*

ZenGoalie

Medium Fish
Apr 1, 2006
Southern NH
www.monkeypants.net
I thank god that I have well water, and don't have to deal with chlorine or chemicals at all. We've got a water softener to take out some of the iron, so far all my fish are alive and happy and been like that for a few years. Thank god for living in the boonies! ;-)

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I have read from Python users that you must add the amount of dechlor to dechlor your entire tank of water when you add water straight from the tap. It seems that it uses a lot more dechlor to do it that way, but it sounds to me like it is worth it. I'm getting a Python as soon as my income tax refund arrives; now I have to do most of the water changes on my twenty-year-old son's day off because he doesn't mind hauling the six-gallon buckets back and forth. It kinda gets to my back muscles, though. I do water changes on the smaller tanks by setting the bucket on a chair with wheels, filling it with the sink sprayer then rolling it over to the tank and bailing it with a gallon plastic ice cream bucket. I can't wait to join you Python users! :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
homebunnyj said:
I have read from Python users that you must add the amount of dechlor to dechlor your entire tank of water when you add water straight from the tap.
Interesting...I've never heard that. I just estimate how much water I took out and add a splash of dechlor into the end of my python before I turn the water on to go back into the tank. I would have serious bubble issues if I added twice as much dechlor as water I took out... (I use bigals' generic version of stress coat as my dechlor)

At any rate, yes water straight from the tap (adjusted for temperature) goes straight into every tank I have...except the salt of course.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Hey homebunny, why don't you get a smaller bucket? A 2g one you shouldn't have any problem carrying around, and it's easier to poor into the tank.

My mom had a good thought the other day... I was using the same bucket for all my tanks (except SW), both to take water out and put it back in. She grabbed a second new bucket, so that one bucket only gets outgoing water, and the other only gets clean water. That way there isn't any way that water from one tank can get into the others... I hadn't thought of it before.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
FroggyFox said:
Interesting...I've never heard that. I just estimate how much water I took out and add a splash of dechlor into the end of my python before I turn the water on to go back into the tank.
I wish I could remember who said that.... It was in a thread pertaining to Python use and when noone contradicted it, I assumed that was what others were doing too. I did wonder about the bubbles, but figured that was nothing compared to my fish's safety. :) I'm relieved to think that maybe my dechlor use won't be increasing all that much!

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
CAPSLOCK said:
Hey homebunny, why don't you get a smaller bucket? A 2g one you shouldn't have any problem carrying around, and it's easier to poor into the tank.
Good idea, Capslock.... When I do 30% changes, that's about 9 gallons in each 29... 16 gallons in the 50... 3 in each of the two 10's... 6 in the 20... and the snail tank (2gal hex) is negligible.... Hehehe... 23 trips to take out, then the same to refill, at 2 gallons each.... But much more manageable if I stagger the water change days. I think I am gonna have to stagger them until I get the Python.

She grabbed a second new bucket, so that one bucket only gets outgoing water, and the other only gets clean water. That way there isn't any way that water from one tank can get into the others... I hadn't thought of it before.
When my son helps me I use three buckets.... I fill them and he carries them. :)

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
I use a python, and I do 50% water changes at least once a week. I do add enough Prime first to dechlor the whole tank. Not because of the python though, but because that is what Seachem recommends for using prime this way. Still, at 1tsp/50 gal it doesn't take all that much.

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
I use a ten gallon bin to prepare the water the night before I'm due to do a water change. I always leave the water sitting for 24 hours before adding it to the tank. I also add the treatment when I fill the bin.

When I add the water to the tank, I use a large 5 litre jug and a plate to minimize the the disturbance. I also have a battery powered vacuum that allows me to vacuum the gravel without removing any water whatsoever. This is without doubt my most valuable piece of equipment.

This routine has worked well for me and the fish have gotten used to the vacuum and swarm around it picking food that churns up.

I wouldn't run the risk of putting tap water straight into a tank as I'm sure the chlorine and chloramines can get into the fish's system, even at the shortest of exposure time.

Jobeak.

stef25

Medium Fish
Nov 28, 2005
Brussels, Belgium
well i tried pumping the water out of a big bucket, upward into the tank. i used an old jewel aquarium filter but it doesnt seem to be able to pump "uphill" into the tank. water gets stuck half way into the tube

ill try with a heaver pump ... i hate the bucket routines and am determined to make this work