Aggressive Tetra, HELP!

Jan 26, 2009
Newark DE
www.myspace.com
Hi! I'm a college student, and I've only got a measley 2.5 gallon tank, with what I guess was a really bad mix. I've got 1 silver tip tetra and 1 zebra danio. Now before anybody gets angry, the day I bought my fish nobody told me they're supposed to be in schools! So I made a huge mistake, but now the tetra is attacking the danio and I haven't the slightest idea of what to do. I've put in ornaments that are large enough for a fish 4 times the size of the danio to hide, but it doesn't seem to help. Any insight would be SO wonderful. Thanks!
-Freshie

Jun 21, 2008
Freshie - Ignore mistercoffee. He's joking.
Coffee - Behave :)
Freshie - I would return the two that you have and get a betta instead. They're pretty perfect for a tank that size, which is not big enough to allow a school of anything. You could do a couple shrimp instead, or maybe in addition to the betta. (I've never had shrimp, so I'm not sure) Your options are limited with that size, but your current setup probably won't work very well.

Jun 21, 2008
They should take them back, especially if you just return them and don't try to get your $3 back. Otherwise, you're probably just going to have 2 unhappy fish, and in a space that small, it's possible the tetra will just nip/stress the danio to death. I don't know that he will, but they are often nippy, and with the major space issues going on it might not end well.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Take it all back. Read this site and others.. Get to know the basics of fish atleast. Then get a bigger tank and become part of the community here!*thumbsups

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
All you need to do is add like 2-3 common pleco's to the tank to clean up and they should be fine.
L-O-FREAKIN-L!!! Mr Coffee, that's talk for the lounge not for beginners. Funny none the less... *BOUNCINGS

Seriously, take the fish back, do a bit o' research on fishkeeping and go back and pick you out a Betta and 2 African Dwarf Frogs. There should be plenty of room (yeah, I know it doesn't apply to the 1" rule, but seriously, I don't think they'll be an issue) and plenty of entertainment for all.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
The fish store will take the fish back because by the time you take em back, its likely the danio will have no fins left. I made a similar mistake by adding a school of serpae tetra, and danio together... good luck, and get your self a betta.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Danios need to be in a tank 20g or larger since they are such active swimmers. The tetras should be in at LEAST a 10g if not larger. Your tank is way too small for both those types of fish. I suggest calling the local fish stores in your area (the chain stores won't take them) and seeing if you can return them for a betta. A 2.5g tank is really too small for anything else. Also, make sure you've read up on cycling a tank, check out the link below in my signature for some stocking/cycling suggestions.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Your gunna have to cycle the tank....haha. Miss Fishy will give you the low down on things. Oh, and when you have a 2.5 gal, theres no such thing as a cycle cuz ur cleaning the tank 24/7. Yah, give the fish back, buy a ten gallon, buy the essential equipment, cycle your tank, buy your fish. Or you can just get a betta. hhaaha, Good Luck.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
For a 2.5g??? Nothing will fit in there that will school. The smallest tank you need for a school is a 10g and you might could get 8-9 little tetras in there. Either that or 6-7 Danios. Whichever you like best. I'd recommend keeping the 2.5 though for QT or for a Betta.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
go to the store and buy a 10gallon tank for $6.99, 10lbs of gravel, and a small filter. Add, the water from the 2.5 gallon and some nice ROI water and you are set. Wont cost you more than $35-$40 total, and you can add more fish to a 10 gallon than a small 2.5 gallon.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I agree with the tap water, but why deal with adding extras when its only about $.80-$1.00 a gallon? You would only need around 6 gallons or so when you add the 2.5 and all the gravel. I just trust ROI water way better now that I left freshwater and do saltwater. Saltwater is much more sensitive to particles in the water, and my tap was horrible here in Chicago....