Altitude Sickness

C indy

New Fish
Apr 8, 2016
Hi! I am going on a long flight across the globe and would like to bring my betta along too. However, I don't know if my fish will get sick or die because of the high altitude and lack of oxygen. The flight is about 11 hours long and the airline company doesn't allow pets to be in the same cabin as passengers. Any suggestion of what i should do?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
sorry if this is going to sound weird but i'm going to assume you're not from the US which wouldn't even allow that much liquid to be brought onto the plane. but if it was me...i'd treat it like i was shipping a fish overnight (which is longer than your 11 hour flight).

first find out if the airline will let you like pack a fish in a checked luggage or carryon luggage.

styrofoam box
bag the fish in two plastic bags (the ones LFS uses) with oxygen. maybe can ask your LFS for assistance since they should have all this ready.
heat pack inside the styrofoam box
tape it all up. probably put like live fish on the box so customs or whatever doesn't go messing it up.

that's how i used to ship out fish to people..and that was overnight and on a plane so almost the same thing i think...plus that's how fishes are shipped overseas to LFS here. :)