Amazon predators

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I am purchasing a 90 gallon tank and plan on putting 3 lima shovelnose catfish, couple pike cichlids, couple pike characins (boulengerella maculata)if I find any, and maybe even a couple leaf fish. I have had experience with all of the above except for the leaf fish, but never at one time. Do you think all these fish will get along allright (and without eating each other)? Thanx

Justin

bigsig

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
All of those will go fine together except the leaf fish.  They need to be in a species tank by themselves.  They float through the water motionless and lunge at there food when they get close.  The pike cichlid alone will eat up all the food and the leaf will starve.

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Thanks for the advise. I knew the leaf fish wouldn't go. Maybe one of those "freshwater barracudas" would be cool instead.

Justin

D

discusaquarium

maybe you could go with a silver arrowana. nothing compares to those bad boys. they are really cool. i had one that grew to about 9" before it jumped out of my tank.  :'( they just swim so elegantly and are really neat eaters. they're from the amazon and would go nicely in there! 8)

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I thought about an arowana, but I was told that my tank would not be big enough. Those things get like 3 foot or more. My tank would only be 4 foot, which is as much space as I can fit in my room. What would be the best way to control algae? Pleco; would it get eaten? I would really like a zebra pleco, but its small so it might get eaten. Any suggestions?

Justin

D

discusaquarium

true, but you could get a bigger tank...lol.  as daniel said, the zebra pleco wouldnt do much for algae, it would eat mainly meat. for algae, i'd go with a sailfin pleco.

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Thats alright, I think I'll just stick with the pleco. I would get a bunch of otocinclus (those things are great algae eaters!), but they would get eaten. Man, I saw 2 pike characins today. I would have gotten them and put them in my 20 gallon tank until I got my big tank, but they were $30 each, and they were in a tank full of diseased (ich) pacu. Those things are supposed to be illegal here in Texas for some reason, so they are a pretty rare find. They sell them under the name "south american gar" so they can get away with it. I wish I could have gotten them. They would have done great with my tank full of zebra danios...hehe...

Wolf

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have been looking for river origins and water conditions for parachanna africana, commonly known as African Snakehead, and found very limited info.  Could someone please help?!  I would like info on waters they live in, like the Nya or Logone, and normal and breeding conditions.

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I found lots of info on snakeheads (Channa), but not the kind your talking about. What kind of fish is it? Anabantid? Characin? Or is it just an Oddball kind of fish? Sorry I couldn't help.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
The snakehead can get 8 in to over 3 feet. They like  a constant temp of 75-78 F.PH and water no special requirements. ;DFeeding would cansists of only fish.These fish are excellent jumpers so you need a covered tank.They posses the organ LAbrinth like most gouramis.Once they break their schools they lead toward Cannilibism and then are strickly territorial. :eek:

HTH

Daniel 8)

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
;D Sounds like a cool tank idea. The lima Shovelnoses are cool. I've got one.  I loves to eat little rosy reds( guppy like feeder ) and i knew some one who feed his beefheart and it loved it.  I haven't tried it yet.  I don't know what to put with it so check out my message if any one has suggestions.Any way, a snake head would be cool, live got a little info in a magizine about them if you wanted it. *thumbsupsmiley*