Angels and Gouramis

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Does anyone know if these fish will get along? Dwarf and full size gouramis. I'm cycling a 29g right now and keep changing my mind about what I want.:rolleyes: I like the way both fish look and have read that they need similar water conditions. Does not like a current in the water, lots of plants, etc. If they can't be in the tank then I will just get an angel because I have always wanted one. Anyone ever had any kind of gourami with an angel?

Aug 9, 2003
don't remind me.
Visit site
I don't think there should be any problem. Gouramis (males) tend to fight only between themselves from my own experience. Just don't get 2 male ones, though I don't know if dwarf ones will fight anyway. I had 3 blue male gouramis, and over 3 years was left with one. My gouaramis never interfered with the angels, neither did my paradise fish.

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
I also read that dwarf gouramis are peaceful.

Smeagal, you did keep blue gouramis with angels? In how big of a tank? I was only going to get one gourami because I knew that they fight with each other but I was not sure about other fish. Thanks smeagal. Now I have to decide which one to get. Probably a blue gourami. They get bigger and would be easier to see. Now my stocking list looks like this:

1 Angel
1 Blue Gourami
5-7 Tetras
3-4 Cories

Sounds good to me. Anyone see any problems? At the rate I'm going I'll probably change my mind again. Alright, now I'm typing just to be typing so I'm going to get lunch.

webjunkie

Large Fish
Jul 22, 2003
Longmont, CP
Concerning the dwarf gouramis, you should be careful about getting more than one male. I have seen several instances where the males have fought. In fact, a friend of mine is trying to pass off the loser of one such fight to me. I am seriously considering it. Although my tank is near capacity, and I wanted to get some otto cats. But, anyway, dwarf gourami are generally peaceful, but will sometimes fight other males.

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I think I will go with one angel and one blue gourami then. My mom and sister always tell me that I need to get some fish that we can see. I think they will be able to see an angel and blue gourami.

One last question. I'm doing a fishless cycle so should I put them in right after it's done cycling? After the tetras and cories have been in for a while? Or it doesn't matter?

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Yes they will be fine! One of my friends has kept two blue gouramis and an angel in a 29 gal. for a little more than four years now. They get along fine.
I have an angel and two goldens in my tank, the angel chases the goldens from his territory but thats it, nothing serious.
BUT - Dont put neons in with Angels, angels have been known to see little neons as snacks.

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Thanks Angelfish. I think i'm only going to have one angel and one gourami instead of two gouramis like you have. I wasn't planning on neons because they are angels natural food. BTW, I saw your tank in the rate my tank section and it looks GREAT! I hope my 29g will look that way.