Anybody keep Frontosas?

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
What a stunning looking fish! Does anybody keep these? What are they like? Was watching them yesterday swan about the tank and they looked marvelous!

Doratus

Small Fish
Sep 10, 2010
I used to have a single juvenile. He was just like an average Cichlid if there is such a thing. He was aggressive when it came to food but overall somewhat timid and not extremely active. I can't say though that my experience is the norm. I really have no idea to be honest. Overall, in terms of personality and interactiveness, I would give my personal specimen a 5 out of 10. Not fantastic, but not one of those fish that's constantly hiding either.

Sep 14, 2010
Riverside, Ca
They are very cool fish. I had a colony of 10 but the only problem is they get big. They are not agressive but can be teratorial like any other fish. They do better in groups of 3-4 or more. If you have a big tank(100gl at least) go for it. There are a few different species, I recomend the Burundi, they are the cheapest of that breed and look almost the same as the other species.

kay-bee19

Large Fish
May 6, 2006
Tampa, FL
Frontosa's are perhaps semi-aggressive in temperment (although mature male vs mature male aggression can be of greater intensity). They're generally slow swimming fish though can be timid or skittish at times.

Best kept with other frontosas and in my experience tend to do best in colonies of at least six or more. They can get fairly large, as previously stated, males can easily attain and even exceed a foot in length, aquariums 6ft or more in length are best for them. May eat smaller fish if they happen to be housed with them (they're nocturnal piscovores by nature).

Here are some of the frontosa variants I have:

Burundi (they tend to develop the largest nuchal humps):

Kigoma (the 7-stripe variant, I've found them to be the shy-est)

Mpimbwe (very outgoing)

Kipili (a Tanzanian similar to the Mpimbwe)

Kapampa/Zaire Blue

soll68

New Fish
Oct 9, 2010
frontosa

yes, i keep frontosa. they truly are great fish to keep. i have burundi and bismark fronts now, and about to purchase mpimbwes, kitumba or moba

Nov 16, 2010
Hello everyone! Where do you buy your frontosa? On-line or local? I am from JAX, Fl. Only few stores sell them. Not much of a choice. I also want to mix Blue Dolphin with them, is that possible?