Aqua-Bar

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
My good buddy Ryan is heading off for Iraq (because our boys and girls in the armed forces have to finish what Dubbua started...) And before he left he wanted to build our house a bar. (one of his specialties is carpentry) And so we started drawing up plans. And what we came up with is a bar with an aquarium in the middle of it. The bar is 100" long, with a 50" space in teh middle for the 55 gal tank, that leaves 25" on each side of the tank for shelving in the back (duh!). Ill have to get some pictures of it to post, and show how we done it. But Just thought I'd post and tell ya all about it.

R0UNDEYEZ

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
You could make the counter of the bar be the hood for the tank with the lights and have it so its on hinges for access to the tank for water changes and stuff like that.

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
Roundeyez that is exactly what we are in the process of doing. We have the top on two hinges and the top is also slip right down the middle so we open it like a two draw bridges. and the lights are long enough to rest on the top of the tank, and we just pick the lights up when we want to play in the water.

lotus we have found that doing anything with the filter is difficult until we file down a 2x4 that will give us some more room to take it out easier

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I am assumeing that you are using a HOB on this , or at least in the plans. If you changed to a canister then the size of filter equipment that was acutaly in the tank would be greatly reduced, and therefore would be easier to work with.

I had a co-worker who was stationed in Japan several years ago and they had a bar with an aquarium in it in there house. I belive that he said that he paied about $50 US for it, and it was at least a 75 gallon tank! It was marine, and he caught all the livestock himself, and got his water for water changes form the ocean, as well as the sand and all the deco.

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
I received the tank for free and yes it came with HOB, I have been thinking of changing to canaster, but was just too excited to get it setup. So I just used the HOB and am probably gonna add a canaster and then remove the HOB after a bit.

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
Bar Building Pics......FINALLY!

Here they be. They guy is not me, but our buddy army ryan who is currently in Iraq. He will be home in 62 days.

This is army Ryan Building the bar

This is the bar all framed up. YOu can see the spots for the speakers, reciever, and tank here.

Fast forward just a lil, and you see the carpeting up, tank in place and prestocked and cycled. I lil of a pain to carry....

Lights off.

Attachments

Last edited:

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
In the pics you can see the two shevles on the side house sound mufflers and speakers, with the reciever on the left side bottom, then the bottom of the bar holds fish food, nets, ect. ect. It has been up and running for almost a year now. I love it

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
Looks great! I cannot wait for my next house so I can have a basement to construct things like that (granted, I've only owned this house for not-even 4 months :rolleyes: ). I hope your friend makes it back safe and soon.

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
that looks pretty dam good. i wanna build myn against the wall, just a small place to sit your drinks, ashtrays, stuff like that while we're throwing darts. im definetly going to give it a try and see how it comes out. hopefully itll be as good as yours.