Aquaponics with Fish Tanks?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
the goby is one of the fish i think introduced for the zebra mussels. issue is they also love to eat fish eggs. they have become a favorite prey species for walleyes smallmouths and catfish BUT they also decimate the spawning rates. i'm sure there will eventually be an equalibrium between native and introduced species of both animals as well as plants. it will take time but nature always finds a way. some species will obviously die out though. I know here in the mississippi river where i live we have tons of zebra mussels and since they have been here we have noticed in increase in some species of fish as well as frogs. they have done alot of good for the river but there will be a downside other then factory issues with intake pipes. last summer though i saw my first asian carp. thats my biggest local worry with invasive species.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I've never had them but i hear alot of places are selling it around Peoria Illinois down on the Illinois river where they have taken a STRONG foothold and has spawned a new sport. get on youtube and check out Peoria carp hunters. they do a guide service for what you see on the videos. I for one have not tried asian carp so i cannot say as to how it tastes. I'm not big on eating fish anyway. i like smoked fish but besides that i can do without lol.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
checked out Peoria carp hunters. hilarious stuff, but they aren't doing much to impact their populations unfortunately. but there's nothing like sword slicing some flying carp.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
there was some info about local smallmouths and other fish and crayfish that can prey on the mussels to keep their populations down. idk about gobies though. i don't live in areas infested with zebra mussels. i have seen a FW clam in my local pond/river thing once.

Feb 27, 2009
I have heard also that some local native fish and some inverts prey on them when young. I'd find it hard to believe that we would introduce ANOTHER foreign species to combat this invader!

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I really can't cite any source, I just know it has been discussed from time to time that something was introduce to control zebra mussels and now that species is causing problems. I thought it was gobies, but I could be wrong.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I thought i heard gobies as well. but we may have been misinformed. and as for fish being introduced by fisheries happened alot way back in the day. I know the common carp was introduced on purpose as another food source but they had no idea how they would adversly effect other fish populations. but they seem to at least around here have found an equallibrium. thats one case of none native fish being introduced. american native fish have been introduced into different parts of the country where they were not natively. such as walleyes in lakes like bulls shoals in arkansas. I know the illinois DNR are talking about introducing the alligator gar into the upper mississippi river. they think because they are such and awesome predator they may feed on the asian carp. this is the FAR northern edge of their natural range but they have not been here in a hundred years or longer. so it will be a reintroduction. but even so they will either die out or prey upon other game fish and may take time to get to a balance. but it is an example of introducing fish to combat invasive species. plants on the other hand there is no combating. u leave one piece and it can grow back, a piece gets stuck to a duck and gets transfered to another lake. get stuck on boats as well. which is one reason they now do wash stations at some boat ramps in places like minnisota. have to spray down your boat with boiling water to kill any plants or animals, can no longer transfer bait or fish in a livewell from one lake to another even if it's just a mile away and they are connected directly to eachother. to stop the spread of invasive species we have to do alot. problem is now that they are here they are here to stay. it's just down to controlling the spread. and up to nature to evolve or die out.