Bamboo Shrimp

Nov 5, 2002
Auburn, CA
Anybody had any experience with these? I saw some at a local PetCo and they looked interesting.

I will be looking them up on the net later but thought I would ask everyone here too. Information such as temperment, good tank mates, water quality and temp, food and any other experiences you would like to share would be appreciated.

Oddly enough I have never seen these anywhere else but at PetCo. Not even at my LFS which is BIG and has just about every fish I have ever seen .

Thanks in advance.

*celebrate Happy New Year!!*celebrate

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i have bamboo shrimp....they are filter feeders, really interesting little guys (well, 2in guys)...best to be kept with smaller community fish (so they don't get eaten) in a larger tank so they can gain nutrients from the water....everything i have read (which is very little) indicates they will starve to death in small tanks under ten gallons

Nov 5, 2002
Auburn, CA
Yeah I was thinking deep fried with coconut :D

Seriously though . . . I have a 29 gallon tank with the following:

1 Red Tail Shark
10 Tiger Barbs
4 Bronze Corys
1 Unknown barb ?? (see my next post)
3 Red Wag Platys

For filtration I have a AC Mini and Penguin 125 and 2 air stones running for looks and to keep the water moving somewhat to aid filtration and gas exchange.

I think I may want to add 1 or 2 of these Bamboo Shrimp but I need more info. If I find anything I will post for the good of all. :)

Aug 23, 2003
Granada Hills, Ca.
i have one in a ten with a betta and a ghost shrimp. he has been in there for a while, and hasnt starved. in fact, he is constantly pooping and molted a week or two ago.

these little guys dont just fan out their hairs and filter out food, they will also clump their hairs together and pick up food on the floor. i make sure that there is food on the bottom.

one of the most interesting things i've bought.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
OH so totally not a ghost shrimp...thats kinda neat looking, I wish my local stores carried more different kinds of shrimp...even though the ghosties are cute.

Sorry SomethingFishy, I haven't helped you in the least bit... :(

bumblebee

Large Fish
Apr 8, 2003
Medina, NY
Visit site
Make sure you keep nitrates very low with these shrimp. They are sensitive to adverse water conditions. Also make sure your tank is covered, and they can't get up your filter! I had one disappear, and when I opened up the filter top, there he was looking at me! Hth.

ben8691

New Fish
Jul 5, 2006
i have a 5gal hex tank and i put a filter for a 10gal in it so its creates more current for the bamboo's and its works fine i got 2 cherry shrimp 1 bamboo and 3 cardinal tetra in it and there happy and i am to

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I kept these before. THey seemed to be doing fine until they died. I think mine starved to death, as they are filter feeders, and my tank was likely too clean for them. Maybe if I had fed them liquid food and fouled my whoel tank up, they would have done fine. I never saw them eating regular fish food. Good luck with these guys.

dbacksrat said:
i saw some bamboo shrimp at my local Petco too....they look really cool.....i wonder if u could keep 3-4 in a 5 gallon?
i highly doubt it. mine was about 3 inches when it died, and pooped constantly. they like perfect/near-perfectwater conditions, and they filter particles out of the water, so without supplemental feeding, and bi-daily water changes to keep conditions good it wouldnt work.

ps-mine would sit on top of my java fern near my filter output with its thingies fanned out to catch particles.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
NoDeltaH2O said:
I kept these before. THey seemed to be doing fine until they died. I think mine starved to death, as they are filter feeders, and my tank was likely too clean for them. Maybe if I had fed them liquid food and fouled my whoel tank up, they would have done fine. I never saw them eating regular fish food. Good luck with these guys.

dido!!!!!!

NoDeltaH2O said:
...fouled my whoel tank up, they would have done fine...
yahoofishkeeper said:
they like perfect/near-perfectwater conditions, and they filter particles out of the water, so without supplemental feeding, and bi-daily water changes to keep conditions good it wouldnt work...
Nuff' said.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
if im not mistaken bamboo shrimp r the atyopsis species.they need slightly soft and acidic for perfect health.they need temperature between 75-84f.mostly they eat small microorganism that oresent in ur tank..u can feed them fish food.With fully grown animals the males have a much larger first pair of walking legs.Additionally, the females are plumper and their carapace extends further down at the pleopods to accommodate eggs.im not sure,they will always be around the fill to search for food.if im not mistaken they r also known as filter shrimo,fan shrimp and wood shrimp.