Bangaii Cardinal Babies

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well I guess the question of whether my two cardinals were male/female has been answered. One was hanging out at the back of the tank under a rock overhang for the past couple of weeks and yesterday I looked at it and it looked a bit stressed out and it's jaw was at a weird angle....hmmmm...I thought maybe just maybe it is a he and he is holding babies in there. Well left it at that.....this morning when the lights came on I was looking under my tank at my auto topoff......and I usually check my fuge/sump to make sure everything is okay and there were 4 baby cardinals cruising in my fuge.....on looking closer I see another 12 or so in the sump return section......I tried to catch them to put them in the fuge....no luck, for little specks they can move. I left them there and added some frozen cyclopeeze and hope that they can eat that....not sure. I have no illusions that they will make it....everything is against it I guess but I wonder if they would survive a ride up through the return pump to the main tank? I can't imagine the ride down the overflow........oh well if they make it great.....if not...I am sure that those two in the main will be at it again soon........

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Awesome news! Good luck with them, and please keep us updated.

Maybe you could put some mesh over the return pump intake to try to stop them getting sucked up. I don't know if it would cause problems with flow, though.

Our LFS' banggais had babies several times, and they are indeed adorable. :D Make sure pappa is gettting plenty of food, he's probably pretty hungry.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The male holds the eggs in his mouth until they hatch (about 21 days) then spits them out......and doesn't eat the whole time. I don't think he has any more in there as he was wolfing down mysis this morning. I will tempt him again later with pe mysis which is the highest grade for protien and fat......I figure my survival rate is going to be nil but I think I will prepare for the next batch with an old 10g I have and set up a brine hatchery...

Dec 28, 2005
LA,Ca
I saw this thing that a guy made it was a half sphere with black sticks in it that the cardinal fish hung out in. So I am guessing that cardinalfish live in protection of urchins in the wild. You could try to make one and put it away from the overflow that could help. Maybe? It might be a instinct so it could work.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
That is where they are right now....living in my return section in my sump. I thought they would all get sucked up in the return pump but there seems to be about a dozen in there. I got a hang in tank brine shrimp hatcher and put it in the fuge section and it apparently continually releases hatched brine into the tank so hopefully this will provide them enough food.......Mom & Dad are busy swimming around out in the open again.....I have been target feeding them to build up the dad's strength for the next round just in case.

I would like to see at least one or two survive....here's to hoping......

They are really cute.....miniature 1/8 inch copies of the parents.....darting around. I think I will look for a fake urchin for them to hide in.

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
yea same here I've been wanting to get a pair and this just makes me wanna get them NOW lol anyways i dont think he got them as a pair since she said i guess i found out that i dont have two females :D or something like that
anyways when are we getting a picture of the babys...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I bought them as a pair and as they are really difficult to sex I was hoping that I had a male/female pair. They were about an inch in diameter when I bought them so I wasn't sure if they were mature or not. I crossed my fingers as these two were hanging out together in a tank with about 8 others.....and as they haven't been attacking each other I was hopeful they were and my questions were answered....one male/female pair.

I can't get a picture of them where they are......they are hidden in the sump return......I have to be a contortionist just to see them and check on them. There are still about a dozen in there from what I can tell. I hope the parents decide to do this again.......

this is the pair just after I got them