Banggais finally had babies!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no they just hang out together all the time and you need to watch for it as once they do they will fight with the others......unlike pj cardinals you can only keep a mated pair per tank.....I have had mine for about 2 years now. I bought them together at the pet store, they were in a tank with about 15 others and these two were separated from the others and just hanging out together protecting each other I think.......took them home and they started spawning about 2 months later and usually produce a brood about every other month or so. Just make sure that the male gets well fed between as he won't eat while he is holding, that is how I know he has a brood going on.....not eating and hanging out in his spot day and night. (Too bad his spot happens to be under an rock overhang right near the bta who gets well fed about every 6 to 8 weeks)

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Lol.. I wish i had a local sw store so i could go and check out the fish to see if they were hangin out together for a few days.. Closest store is like 20ish miles away and they are kinda expensive and since no other stores are around they sell out pretty quickly! you should just sell me yours lorna and go buy some more! LOL

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
now you are joking......I couldn't do that.....the others in the tank might miss their friends.....

I think one secret of these guys is to get tank bred, as they are really nervous and a lot of the lfs lose a lot of fish in shipping. You should get your lfs to hold them for you or find a local breeder. I suppose a person could make a profession out of breeding these guys and selling the babies as they are prolific breeders. The main problem is getting the babies out right after hatching or else you would have to isolate the pair in a specific breeding tank......the fry are pretty small and can only eat live brine and rotifers when they are born....not everyone is prepared to set up a brine hatchery to support them. Then they usually have a rough patch at about 15 days old....once past that they are usually pretty hardy.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I only have 1 fish in my tank now so i wouldn't be worried about the babies turning into fish food! The only thing about finding a breeder is that they always want a ton of money for the pair! Guess ill just keep looking

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, I'm still feeding baby brine shrimp. They look like they could eat something a little larger, but I haven't found anything bigger they'll eat other than live or frozen BBS (or bottled zoaplankton, in a pinch). For now they're getting larger amounts of BBS, but I'll keep trying other stuff.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
From what I understand, they can't really be kept in a school long term. Pairs are fine, but if a pair forms in a group, they'll pick the others off one by one.

They're still only about 3/4" total length, as far as I can guess. The bodies are maybe 1/4" or so.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Lotus congrats again....nice looking pics. Well I changed out my sump and fuge a week or so ago just before I left on vacation. The night before we were leaving my male cardinal decided to spit a brood and low and behold one tiny baby made it down into the sump.....I thought he would surely perish as I was leaving on vacation and didn't have anything set up for feeding etc. Well I got home the other night and he is still happily swimming around in the cheato in the fuge.....who knows, maybe he will make it.... :)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Bangaii baby still doing great.......and almost at the cruicial 15 day mark. Eating good too, I saw him gobble up some cyclopeeze the other night.....time will tell.

Lotus do you have your little ones eating prepared foods yet? frozen cyclopeeze and mysis ground up really small are great starters......I also used rotifers for the first batch I had.