Beginner - My Tank Is Nearly Complete (?)

Hey There,
I checked my tank this evening and my nitrate levels are 0. (yey!).. yet my ammonia levels are still 0.25. I haven't gotten around to adding any pure ammonia (or whatever) because i couldn't find anyone, and i was going for a fishless cycle. My PH levels are also off the chart (now), they weren't before, they seem to have gone up...
hmmm...

your not even close to done... you want nitrates, that means you bacteria converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrates.... and how are you even cycling the tank without pure ammonia? are you still using that fish food? trust me, you aren't done yet and wont be for a while if you dont get some ammonia. I've never used fish food to cycle a tank but in theory it doesn't put much ammonia into the water which doesn't get the bacteria going too quickly. I could be wrong cause i'm not too good at the cycling problems so correct me if i'm wrong :). Oh and the pH flucuations are probably cause of the pH buffer you added recently but there are too many factors to really give you a good answer.

Last edited:
I thought we already had a big discussion about this... you could add the fish to do a fish in cycle or a fishless cycle. Either way works but fish in takes longer but you can't add too many fish at once and fishless just means you need to wait about 2 to 3 weeks but once you waited that long you can add everything you want (just not go overstocked). In my opinion the fishless is a way better way to go, you get all your fish quicker and they will be healthier with a strong biofilter instead of a weak biofilter which is the result of a fish in cycle. After your fish in cycle is done it still has to continue to build up and if you add too many fish in at once to a weak biofilter you could get ammonia spikes which could kill fish. So your decision on which way you wanna go.

Last edited:
depends what kind of tetra, i think the white skirt tetras are really hardly fish but if your cycling with weak fish like neons or most fish that have the same body shape as the neon then those are mostly weaker fish and could possibly die in the proccess... I thought you said you got that bottle of ammonia already? If i were you i really really wont start with tetras but its your choice. I'm not saying they wont work and you are gonna get some deaths for sure but the chances are pretty big.

edit: nevermind i guess adagiolove05 answered it already

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I would not cycle with tetras personally. Also...if you're not planning on getting danios at all then you would need to make sure your store will take them back because as was already discussed you can't keep tetras with the danios in that small of a tank because you can't get a large enough group of both of them.

If you decide to get danios 2 would do it and you'll have to just have those two and test your water every day or every other day and do lots of extra water changes for the next couple of months while your tank cycles.

Did you ever search on the board and see where other UK members have found ammonia??

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Well, a third alternative would be to use BioSpira. It instantly cycles your tank because it is wet living bacteria, nitrosomas and nitrobacter. We used this a couple weeks ago on my sister-inlaw's new tank and it did the trick. Talk about instant gratification!

If you go with the ammonia / fishless cycling method, you can add all your fish at once after the cycle is complete, but where is the fun in that? Then you have nothing else to do but look at them die one by one, among other things of course (not to say your fish would die, but you would likely be hoping a few float to the surface as you'd likely want other fish soon, and with a fully stocked tank you may find yourself hoping death on the unwanted fish).

Going with a fish-in natural cycle is what I did on my first tank a few years ago. I used one chinese algae eater, 2 corydoras, and a few bloodfin tetras. I changed a LOT of water during those first couple of months, but it was worth it as the time allowed me to think, and plan out what I wanted to do with the tank. It also gave me time to learn how to keep plants alive and thriving.

Patience is a great thing, not to be overlooked, especially in fishkeeping. For beginners who are kinda' on their own, I would always recommend a slow fish-in cycle. Take ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings every day or two and keep track, plotting it out on a graph (Excel works nice for this).

A ZERO nitrate reading could very well indicate your cycle has just begun, not necessarily that it is over and your tank is clean.

Then, after the cycle is complete, you have plenty of time to gradually stock your tank with the fish you want. The fish you would put in there today are very likely NOT the fish you would want to put in there in a month or two.

Patience. And patience you have. I commend you for that. I cannot tell you how many times, in the short itme I have been a member here on this forum, that I have seen a new member ask about how to set up his first tank and his signature says he has a 10gallon with 12 fish in it already, and he doesn't know squat about nitrogen. I like your signature a lot. It speaks volumes about your wisdom in the hobby. KUDOS !!!

Last edited:
Thanks Delta. Yes - You see i'm in UK - and lots of members are from the states, and they name all these products i just CANNOT get - Plus i haven't been able to find ammonia in a TESCO supermarket close by... But seeing as today is such a ... nice day... i'll go on a shopping spree and have a good look around for some. Like i've said before, i'd rather healthy fish and to have to wait a while to cycle, other than a uncycled tank with fish dying one by one.

you got a little of it. Theres ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. fish poop and it turns into ammonia then bacteria turns it into nitrites, then it turns into nitrates and you take it out by water changes or platns can absorb it. All 3 forms are bad but at differnt ammounts. A little ammonia or nitrite can kill fish and 40ppm and up of nitrates and your fish will start dying depending on how strong the kind of fish is.

glad to hear you are doing a fishless cycle :) have you gotten the ammonia yet?

and longtyme, i suggest you realy do some reading before you start an angelfish breeding career without even knowing how to set up a tank :) theres lots of stickies at the top of the begginer's topic that you can read to give you an idea of what everyone is talking about :)