Beginner with question - Tetras.

This is probably a really stupid question, but here is goes.
I'm a complete newbie and have recently decided tetras are what i'll start with (long story, read more of my posts and you'll get an idea!). Anyway! Do they need heating in their tanks? I know sooo stupid! I've done research on ALL the tetras i like, all on different websites, and only on some of the websites does it say that particular tetra needs heating, so does it apply to all? If any of you are tetra owners (or professionals!) could you recommend a type of heater? Thank you! x

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Ive found the Ebo Jägers to be a good sturdy heater. Actually, my house doesnt usually get that cool, and I actually dont have a heater in my 30 gallon right now. Tetras are hardy fish, mine have survived in a cooler with a filter for several weeks. I have one just in case though but the water and fish are fine without it.

But Id get one just to be safe.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
With your 8 gallon (right?), tetras would be a fine choice. Some of the smaller tetras I've had are...

Neon tetras
Cardinal tetras
Glowlight tetras
Black neon tetras
Black skirt tetras

Neon tetras are a good choice. They are cheap, easily available, and pretty hardy, once the tank is ready and cycled. For your eight gallon, if you're looking to do a tetra-only tank, do you want to mix species or just pick one for a school? They probably won't school much in a smaller tank, but they will definitely swim about together.

Other than a heater, and your filter, you should be good to go with your tank. Weren't you planning on adding live plants? This will make it even better. Both aesthetically, and for the fish's well-being, as plants consume nitrate.

I have neon tetras, cardinals, black neons, and glow-lights in my heavily planted ten gallon. A good temp would be 78 degress, but in the summer, don't worry if it goes up to about 84, the tetras will handle it, at least in my experience.

It's your tank after all... what tetras are you thinking of?

In case no one has linked to this site, here is The Age of Aquariums, as well as Pandora's site, which I find excellent for choosing fish...

http://www.aquahobby.com/e_gallery.php

http://www.fishpalace.org/Fish.html

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My tip with tetras is to buy ones that have been in the shop a couple of weeks, especially cardinals. Shipping for these guys from S America sometimes goes wrong , so I've found either the entire batch dies in a few days, or they are tough as old boots.

Thanks all.
LORDROAD: That has really helped, cheers. I've written a few small neon speices that i think are really pretty and have good reviews.. Just some black neons, etc, you know? I'm sure my tank is bigger than an 8GAL perhaps a 10GAL i've been told. It's a good size, and yes, i do have some live plants alredy in there (i've had them about 4days now) and they're doing fine!! Would you recommend any exact tetra from your own experiance? Some small ones?

(Do they swim around the WHOLE tank or just top/bottom?)

Last edited:
I think if your gonna get tetras for their color get some cardinal tetras cause they have the most color. Also they only swim in the middle of the tank and when they get food they take turns swooping to the top unless the flakes fall down to them which is pretty fun to watch. If your gonna go with tetras i think 6 of them is probably the max you can fit and i dont know if your stlil gonna go with the mystery snail but you could probably stick that in along with 6 cardinals and that should be the limit. Oh and in a 10g tetras realy won't be schooling too much, i have a 20g long and you would think that a long would be a good choice and a good decnet area for them to school but they dont ever school unless i do a water change but i guess they are just too comfortable in my tank :)

LongTime

Large Fish
May 16, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Cardinals seem to be hardier than neons and they get a little bigger. Tetras are schooling fish and even if you don't care if they school or not, THEY DO! It is better to have at least 4 or 5 of the same type. They behave better and, IMO, prettier to watch because they are more active when in schools. Fish are living creatures and come with a responsibility just like any other pet. You wouldn't buy a dog and chain it on a six inch chain just because you like how it looks in that spot. Give fish the same respect. Provide the environment they require or look into some other way to brighten up your room. ;)

when your tetras school its a bad sign cause they are scared, but it isn't that much of a deal cause they aren't scared enough to get sick but just dont feel too secure and that means their environment could be better. If they aren't scared and they just float around seperately that means they are in a safe environment but they just dont look as cool (this is what usually happens in most people's tanks so tetras sort of get boring after a while). Cardinals are hardier then neons because cardinals can't get neon tetra disease where the neon tetras can. If your looking for color cardinals is probably the best choice, they grow bigger then neons, are a tad bit hardier, and their red stripe is longer and wider then the neons.

LongTime

Large Fish
May 16, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
I think cardinals ship better than neons for some reason. With any fish it is always better to find out how long the fish has been in the shop before you buy. While you may only be able to find some rare species on the day they come in, if you can give a new shipment at least 3 days to settle you are better off.

i always thought neons shipped better lol, there was this one guy on another forum who was setting up a 100g or bigger (forgot the size) and he ordered like 50 to 100 cardinals and all died except 20 of them lol. He even quarentined them and had a 50g set up and everything :/ i guess he was just really unlucky lol. If your lfs is a good lfs they might quarentine the fish, like i know my lfs usualy acclimate some more sensitive fish first then quarentine for a day or two then sell. The day or two isn't going to check for any diseases but it does take out all the weak ones that were really weak after the delivery.