Beginners Question: Tetras and Danios.

freshyyf

Small Fish
May 10, 2005
Please don't mix them. I have a leopard danio which is so nasty. It just stress out all of my neons and the other fish until I have to get rid of it. Choose one type. Neon tetras are very nice, but you have to get some experience first, expect to lost a few if you are beginner. Cardinal tetras are even nicer, but need at least 3 months old cycled aquarium.

Beginner: Danios Vs. Tetras.

My first tank will be ready within... a week or so... and i'm stuck between the choice.. i've been told you shouldn't mix, so i wont. So what do you guys think?

PS: Unless you can think of some different, more interesting, combos for my 8GAL? I'd like something lively.. colourful and something that will go together! (plus, not something that will be hard to find)... I'm going for tropicals!

...(and nothing too BIG!)

*Edit: My tank may sound small, but it's actually very big and roomy.. i have real plants.. and a little hiding place for smaller fish. Plus a good filter and air pump (and light of course).

Last edited:
Ok, let me get this straight, you're going for the fishless cycle right? if so then your tank won't be done in a week and i doubt even two weeks. Unless you are doing a fish in cycle then you should get danios. But if you are gonna fishless cycle it then get the tetras cause they are way more colorful in my opinion and you could get a slightly bigger number cause they stay smaller. I would really suggest you decide on how you are going to cycle the tank instead of creating all these threads because you can't decide which type of fish to get. Once you have decided how you are going to cycle the tank and you put it to work then you decide on what kind of fish and when you are done you get the fish. Its that simple. No need for a thousand threads on which way to cycle cause we have already told you all the pros and cons of each way and we have already told you all the characteristics of each type of fish. Now its your turn to make your own decision. You can even choose not to cycle your tank and we won't care cause we have already told you numerous times to make a choice and gave our best shot already. On some threads you say you want your fish to be healthy implying that you wanna do the fishless cycle and on some threads you sound like you can't wait to get your fish and you never even read the cycling recipe and never got the ammonia... If you decide not to listen to us then when your fish start dying dont come asking us for help because we have already told you soo many times on ways to cycle your tank and all you want to do is rush this proccess.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Chazwick...I'm going to combine this with your other thread...please see if you can refrain from starting a new thread for everything...people can follow your story better when its in one place.

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
heres my 2 cents

I have a 55 gallon with 4 zebra danios, 6 neon tetras and 6 black tetras, when I first put the neons in the tank my zebra danios wouldn't leave them alone, and now I think that they know the tetras are staying because they leave them alone now, and I have taken notice that the 4 zebras that I have actually school around with the black neons that I have.

Chazwick said:
*Edit: My tank may sound small, but it's actually very big and roomy.. i have real plants.. and a little hiding place for smaller fish. Plus a good filter and air pump (and light of course).
8 gallons doesn't get any bigger then 8 gallons and it is still considered a small tank and can hardly fit any fish in it so i would stick with the 1in per gallon rule and don't go overstocking a tank that small... you could probably get away if the tank was a bigger tank but not with an 8g...

cougargirl50 said:
heres my 2 cents

I have a 55 gallon with 4 zebra danios, 6 neon tetras and 6 black tetras, when I first put the neons in the tank my zebra danios wouldn't leave them alone, and now I think that they know the tetras are staying because they leave them alone now, and I have taken notice that the 4 zebras that I have actually school around with the black neons that I have.
That is great information. I am torn between revamping my whole tank and keeping most of the decorations and just changing the fish. I will try to go to my LFS or LPS and see if they would be interested in buying them. I will see how that turns out. Thanks for the info!

Well I only cycled the 55 gal when I got the tank from my neighbor, I tested the water, then put the fish in 48 hours after setting up the tank. They were full grown and handled the change well. It was cleaner than before, so they loved it. I have yet to get rid of the sunfish and I haven't revamped that tank yet, so recycling will start once I get rid of the sunfish.