betta not looking as good as he used too

melissakate

Medium Fish
Jan 22, 2005
Townsville, Qld - AUSTRALIA
you can see what he looked like in the pic attached with my first post of this thread or also my avatar...... i have moved him into his "new" tank.... it's about 12 inches and i think hold about 20 litres of water. his temperature is sitting at about 28 degrees celcius at the moment and he is swimming around happily and eating, so i guess so far so good. i am also treating him with a product - bettafix antibacterial remedy - to help with his damaged fins.... fingers crossed that will make an improvement coz i'm hoping to breed from him once he is well again

melissakate

Medium Fish
Jan 22, 2005
i couldn't be bothered editing my previous posts so i'll just keep writing.... it's been a couple of hours now with the heater on (no filtration, just yet). he's swimming around well and i don't know whether it's just me but it appears as though his colour is coming back to normal.... he's looking better already. given time i'm hoping his fins will grow back

Jan 22, 2005
ok, nobody is replying to the thread but i will continue to note the progress.... it's been a day now with the heater and he seems a bit more active, and also his colour is coming back slowly..... he's still eating which is good.... ummm... other than that no remarkable improvement, but hey it's only been a day, will report back in a few more days if anyone is interested or can suggest anything else i should try.... all assistance is GREATLY appreciated! :)

thanks

Jan 22, 2005
he's getting his colour back slowly. i can see his blues and reds are defintely more distinct now instead of just a jumbled blur :p he's looking a bit thin, so i think some time this week i'll go out and buy him some live food. he's still eating fine though just maybe needs some variety

Jan 22, 2005
i have bought him today a new filter... which i'm hoping will be fine for him.... it's a aqua clear mini. i have the 200 on my 3ft tank & it's been really good and doesn't make much current.... so it should be fine.... i've also gotten him so different food for variety.... i'm using HBH betta bites & colorbright flake food with treat.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2005
anyways, he has a aquaclear mini now (i have the bigger 200 version and it's pretty damn good). he's not exactly big enough or strong enough to handle the little bit of current it does put out so i have made him a little hiding space. he's doing really well so far with his new tank complete with heater & filter. his colour is slowly coming back and he is becoming more active.