Betta question

I have a 9 gallon, im goin to get something a little bigger I think soon, but what Im wondering is can I get a male betta and place it in this tank with an african dwarf frog and an otto? Do bettas need to be in a heated tank or if the room is warm and stays warm all the time will that be ok?

Corydora

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2003
IL
Bettas do not need a heated tank. Bettas are very hardy and don't need filtration or heating. But Male Bettas are very aggressive. The frog may be okay with it but anything else in there and you'll have problems. I had a Male Betta eat a snail like 10 times its size. There very mean, not their fault just nature.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
I have to disagree. Bettas are not mean or very agressive either (besides with other bettas) and in most tanks it is the betta who gets picked on. I say you can keep a betta, ADF and a couple of ottos together in a 9 gal.
Bettas do not NEED a heater. Although it is recomnded as it is likely the temp fluctuates between day and night which could be stressful for the betta. Plus if you want to keep the betta with other tropical fish, its a requirment.
Good luck =)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Ok, bettas can tolerate colder room temps for a short while, but they are not happy about it! They hate the cold (under 74F)! A 50w heater is like $10 or less, put it at 76F and you never have to worry about it!

Bettas are not mean, but are most certainly aggressive when I comes to territory and food. The older the betta, the more territory he will want all his own.

Bettas are fine with ADF and Ottos because they never invade their territory or nip their long fins.

Mar 11, 2003
No, they can't. Breeding them is a very dangerous thing. The female and male nip each other, spawn, and then he tries to kill the female to "protect" the nest. In the wild, bettas can jump from rice paddie to rice paddie through puddles to get away from fights, but in a tank they are cornered. Please research before you say that females and males can live together. This is a very common mistake and usually results in the death of a betta (or more!). Take it from someone who knows. Any knowledgable betta breeder or hobbiest will tell you the exact same thing.

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
kool_sk8a, in the wild, the females come, mate, and leave when the male chases her away.

In a tank, a breeder adds the female, they mate, then the breeder removes her.

Why? Because fish tanks do not simulate nature, even the biggest tank is infinitesimally small compared to a single rice paddy field or creek!

Of course males and females live together in the wild! Duh! So do males. One male comes into another male's territory, they fight, then one male leaves.

Bettas are not schooling fish, not a all. They do NOT like each others company, from what I can tell. Sure, they like to see each other every now and then just to mate or defend their turf, but not at close quarters for a long period of time.

Lets make sure we keep everything in perspective. Do you share a room with your sister or brother or parents? Not likely. Maybe when you were kids, but surely not as adults.

Bettas are the same, the older they get, the more room they want, the less friendly to invaders they become.

Well, thats enough of a lecture for today Iggy!

Quagaar

Medium Fish
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
www.aquatic-hobbyist.com
I hate coming in at the end of a question, but I am gonna.

Bettas do need heaters, unless you are maintaining your home at a constant temp day and night the bettas tank water will change and it will change by quite a margin. A 10 gallon tank can lose several degrees at night when the heating is off, so the safe thing to do is to add a heater and prevent temp swings. Temp swings are stressful to the betta who likes a constant TROPICAL temp of around 78-80 degrees. Stress leads to illness, illness leads to death. So bettas do need a heater, period. Iggy is bang on, males are solitary fish and spend most of their life alone. Once the have found their receptive female and bred, he will either chase her away or kill her. In tanks where they cant be chased away, death to one or both is not uncommon. Females as they mature and get older can also become aggressive and its not unheard of females destroying males fins or even killing them. Males will harass and chase around the females constantly, the females will spend their entire day hiding from the advances of the male, again stress leads to illness...you get the rest. I have tried unsuccessfully to keep males and females in tanks for various sizes up to a 40 gallon planted tank, the females (4) of them were constantly harrassed and damn pleased when I moved the male out to a seperate 10g. SO no males cant live with males, they cant live with females, and females can sometimes live with other females. Note I said sometimes, they to can be as aggressive and territorial as males and can flare and attack just the same, so you need to be cautious and watch even females and females.
Hope this helps
Females and males living together??? NO, NO, NO.

Last edited:
Basically, the bottom line is bettas are a pain in the ***. :)

But if you are like me, you dont mind having a few hundred different bowls all over the place to keep the little dingies happy. I enjoy them, and it seems like an outrageous amount of work for some, but I have no problems with it.

For the record though, I am glad Quagaar put "females can SOMETIMES live with other females" because I have a 75 gallon half planted tank with 21 females in it. They are all around 1 year old as they were one of my popular "Halloween" spawns. (dark bodies with orange or red fins) Never had any ladies with nipped fins or damaged stomachs... but of course, I have not added or removed any females since I set up the tank so they have established a chain of dominance.
Anyhoo, I just thought I would toss in my pennies.