Betta tankmates?

Sep 1, 2004
Abalammie
Visit site
Hi, guys! I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether (male) Bettas will coexist peacefully in a tank with an Oto? Also, any other fish that you know of who do well with Bettas? (Other than the little African frogs. I got that.)

Thanks! :)

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
This question has been asked quite a few times on MFT. And although, I have little experience with bettas, I will just recite some of the information I read.

Bettas are fish with varied personalities. What may work with one, the other will create havoc. So it depends on how aggressive your betta is and how we he tolerates other fish being around. Maybe something else to consider would be tank size. With that being said, the rest is trial and error. Also recommended is having a "back-up" plan, in case the new fish don't work. Here are a few of the top of my head:

Zebra Danios
platies
Otos

Best of luck newfishmom.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
There really isn't a list of fish that do well with them. Rather more of a list of fish that WONT do well (guppies, gouramis, anything nippy or colorful with long fins)...and if you get some that work it may not work for other people.

I have an ember tetra in with my betta...but he's so small I dont even think the betta knows he's there ;) A fish that sticks to itself is the best kind to have with a betta...so ottos and other bottom feeders are usually fine with *most* bettas. The only bettas that wont work with bottom feeders are the ones that pretty much wont work with any fish because they are just MEAN and best kept alone.

Sep 1, 2004
Abalammie
Visit site
sounds great, thanks! I have an existing 10 g tank that housed lots of different schools of fish and an Oto that I'm going to just put a Betta in now (with the Oto). That should work, right? I mean Bettas pretty much live in the same water parameters as other tropical fish (e.g., tetras, rasboras, cories, etc.), right?

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
Be sure to put in alot of silk plants and decorations like caves etc so in case the fish want to have some quiet time (-;

Like the others said it depends on the Betta. Some will tolerate other fish some will not. My Ub was a real pip. He flared at anyone that went near his domain. He even flared at a plush pigeon because it was prettier then him:rolleyes: . My Pinky is more mellow but I don't think I want to risk it, he is just to content to have his aquarium to himself:cool:

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
cindyangel59 said:
i have 20 male bettas . and they are all differnt . they each have their own personalty . i love to watch them . they are each in their own tank . good luck with your betta .
wow...i want that many bettas!!! What size tanks do you have them in? pics? im very very envious right now...;)

wintermute

Medium Fish
Feb 18, 2004
Visit site
I have a betta in a 29 gallon tank where everyone's agressive behavior have seemed to cancel each other out:

these are listed in the order that they were added, over a period of 2 years
7 tiger barbs, 2 of which are albino
1 red-tailed black shark
1 SAE
2 Yo-Yo loaches
1 betta

Everyone's happy and there's very few fights, except when the tiger barbs fight amongst themselves while establishing a new pecking order.

Best bet is to find something about the same size as the betta, and can give back the abuse when needed, or throw in some dither fish like a school of zebra danios

Jun 23, 2006
pacific , mo .
man no way i would put a betta with tiger barbs . i tried to put one of my male bettas in my 10 gal today , he went straight for my neons . had to take him out . thats the 3rd male betta i've tried putting in that tank . and that was the last . i'm not trying any more . they say 3's the charm , well not for me . lol .

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I have a male betta with a school of brochis cories, 3 otos and 6 neon tetras. I have lots of rocks (caves) and tons of plants. My betta sometimes chases the neons but not agressively (doesn't flare or chases them for ages). One day, when I first put my otos in, I watched him sneak up to a oto sitting on a leaf to check him out. I think he was real curious but then the oto moved quickly and scared him away! It was funny. He's left them alone since.

Like mentioned above, it depends on the personality of the betta....my other betta was really calm and even got along with gouramis (which isnt usually the case)....my new betta, although fairly calm, is aggressive relative to the betta I had before.