Bettas and Bowls

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
It really depends on the surface area, because they breathe the air they a decent sized surface area. Also, bettas can jump so you will need some sort of lid.
I, personally think a betta can live quite happily in a bowl, others don't agree

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
Just thought I'd tell you, you should do 100% water changes rather than 50% a week. It's not quite enough on an unfiltered tank because there's nothing to convert the ammonia your betta will make. If it's a 1G bowl, you should change the water totally every 4 days or so. If it's a 2G, change it about once a week. There's not really a point in small water changes for a betta unless their tank is filtered.

And don't worry about shock from all-new water, it doesn't seem to bother them. Just get a little cup, scoop the fish into it, rinse the bowl out with hot water then fill it with room-temperature water (or as close as you can get by feel). Float the cup in the bowl until the temps are equal (doesn't take long with the small amount of water in the cup) and pour him back in.

Hope this helps!

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
the bowl looks good, i can't wait to see your new lil guy. :D and good think with the cd case.. i'm sure the cardboard or styrofoam would have worked, but the cd case looks much better than those would have!

i'm thinking about putting a betta in a large vase. one that's well over a gallon. is this a good idea?

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
That should be fine, jessey ^_^ Most people recommend a gallon per betta, but they can live in less with more frequent water changes, like I don't have the room for several 1 gallons so I have two 1/2gallon betta bowls.