Bio-Wheel vs. Bio Balls?

Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
Anyone have opinions on doing a tidepool sump vs. a wet/dry trickle filter with bio balls? I have heard pros and cons on both setups. I have a 75 gallon tank, about 80+ pounds live rock, lots of coarls and a dozen fish. I want to get rid of my emperor filter and get something better. Ant suggestions or comments would be great!

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
for the sump you just need an overflow, a pump, and the sump itself (can be a $100 sump POS from the lfs or can be a cheap aquarium or tupperware tub) and some other basic plumbing parts
hey it looks like you have a pretty nice skimmer--how does it perform?

Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
The skimmer is great! I highly recommend it. I have thought about trying to make a sump and overflow, but sometimes I think it would just be eaiser to buy one. I haven't seen ant good plans for a home made overflow, and if I'm going to shell out 80 bucks for that, I may as well go all the way. I sure wish I would have bought a drilled tank!

Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
I have a kole tang, flame angel, foxface, two percula clowns, two pajama cardnials, a yellow watchman goby, a firefish goby, and a Green Mandarin. Also a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp. There is a sand sifter star and a brittle star. Some may say my tank is over stocked, but my water is always perfact. I change 6 gallons a week without fail.