bioload and filtration

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
carbon "works" for about 24-48 hours... then it is inert... So yeah it "helps" I guess....

Im not sure people understand what Im saying here.... YOU DON'T NEED additional filtration... There is really no benifit to pushing more water UNLESS you have a fish that needs exceptionally high current.

I am a long time fish guru and I am also strictly HOB filter. They are better, they make less mess and they agitate the surface something that a canister doesn't do....

So again, you have enough filtration, you will grow enough bacteria to eat as much poop as the fish are capable of producing if your goal is to increase bio load you need to manage nitrates higher load = higher nitrates = lots more water changes. (Quote);

Can't agree with you about canister's not being able to produce water movement,oxygen exchange at the surface. spraybar's can be posistioned near the surface and can produce tons of surface agitation.
I keep mine (Eheim) aimed below the surface in a planted tank for surface disruption helps drive off CO2 which plant's need.
I would also point out that increased flow in the tank keeps particulates in the water column longer,, which enables mechanical media to grab it and this particulate matter contributes to NO3 levels along with waste from the fish.
The more waste grabbed by the filter,,the less settles onto the substrate,so extra flow may not be needed but DOES provide a benefit.
Not all fish as you have pointed out, appreciate extra flow but for heavily stocked tanks,and some riverine fishes,,large cichlids,plecos,loaches,etc,they would appreciate the additional flow from oversized filtration both for water movement and,ability to remove suspended particulates= cleaner tank assuming regular filter maint is performed.

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
i understand what nanu is saying. there should be enough bacteria in the tank to convert all the wastes into nitrates. and that can only be removed through water changes.
i also understand what 1077 is saying about water flow and sucking up wastes into the HOB filter.

both of you guys have answered my question, and reason for starting this thread very nicely. thanks.

one more thing if you dont mind...along the same lines as weve been discussing.
ive read arguments against, and for both sides. the internet seems to be full of people with views...and this is no exception:
does air bubbles from an air stone remove nitrates?
it seems that everyone thinks differently on the matter.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I'll sometimes use a sponge filter for additional filtration: quite, cheap, and does a great job. They also let me instantly set up a new tank. If I have a sponge filter as a back up or extra filter on one tank, I'll just take it out and put it in the new tank, allowing the new filter time to have a bacteria colony established.

lenny

Small Fish
Apr 17, 2011
From my understanding, the thing that will probably help with high stocking in your tank is that it's planted.

That will help keep your nitrates in check.

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Back to the original question of this post... From what I understand main benefit of carbon was mis-understood back in the bad old days. People thought that the carbon stayed active much longer than it actually does, so they left it in their tanks. But... it does do good things for your tank! They just didn't realize what the good thing was that it was doing: it's porous surface is a great home for tons of beneficial bacteria. Like a sponge filter. :)