Black Onyx True Perc

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I think they are very interesting looking fish, but I dont know if Id pay 150 dollars for them. They seem to the most interesting looking of clowns, but the True Perc seems to be about the same to me. Although if you wanted a fish that was very rare and exotic I guess he would do it for ya

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Umm...I bought my pair of Trues for $69...actually they sell for that and I get a better deal...look at other places that is an outrageous amount of money. Oh and they could do fine in a 20 gallon.

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
do you mean the onyx, ill call my lfs and see if they carry them but if there of 35-40 a piece im gonna forget it. 25 is pretty good for one black and white right, because another lfs has them for 40 and liveaquariua.com for 28

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
25 is average for most true percs in my area. Now there was one that was more of an gold and black instead of orange and black - he was 40.

doh, I just looked at the picture on the first post and thats the fish my lfs has for 39.99 a piece. Thats still too much for me but they are cool.

Last edited:

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
hmmmm. Some fish, but by no means all, and most of my experience is in fw, but some fish that are caught from the wild have been reported to be extremely hard to breed in a tank. A more experienced saltie would have to confirm if this might be true for salt water fish. Now other fish will breed in a puddle of mud if given half a chance so I am not sure.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Henry22 said:
i dont want to breed them but i also dont want to invest 50 in a pair or black and white wild caught and they die.
he said right there he didn't want to breed them.....im confused

but, i meant feed...they are hardy fish and they feed easily even if wild caught. as far as breeding i don't know any specifics about these particular fish, but most clowns breed readily