Black Onyx True Perc

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Oh...all black and white. Usually you can get small tankraised for about $40 and they go up from there.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Some will argue against me, but most of the Wild caught clownfish have better coloring then the tankraised...especially perculas...to clear things up in general true perculas are just regular perculas with more black next to the stripes.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would get captive every time. Wild caught clowns are ok hardy , but captives are bullet proof. The old deal with colours is no longer true, and most of the more exotic colour schemes now seen are only available from selective breeding of tank bred fish. Some of the wild caught clowns quite commonly arrive with a full set diseases, it's not just feeding that's a problem. Also en route mortality for perc clowns is pretty high.

True percs are called 'true' to distinguish them from ocellaris 'false' percs though the difference is pretty minor. I'v seen black and white ocellaris too.

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
haha now you're being picky! but i guess it's good to never settle, or you'll end up with something you don't like.

here up in Toronto, when i got my black and white perculas 2 years ago, they were 60 bucks each. i managed to chop it down to 50...but did it ever suck the morning i woke up to find that one of them went carpet surfing.