blue male beta

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
i have a .75 gal tank for him the top is cracked so cant fill it all the way... can i use some type of sealent for an acrylic tank... and is he supposed to like krill? whats the best food for him? should i go gravel less or with gravel? or maybe sand?

umm what do i add to my water so he doesnt breath his gills alot as he looks like he is drownding or is it cuz im not having a heater?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2006
A heater is not required for Betas. They breathe at the surface, meaning they go up to the surface to gasp for air. Also, they are slow mover (mostly) and stay in one position for a while.

Thunder

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I assume you used dechlor, and properly acclimated him? How long has he been in there? How exactly does he 'seem like he is drowning'?
He will eat betta food. Hikari makes a good one.

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
With that tank I suggest a small bag of gravel/sand with a little cave. Get a filter for the tank. They sell filters for small tanks.

Also I thought all tropical fish needed a heater?

The cave is needed for him so he can rest in it. Also I suggest getting a new 1g tank or larger. I never trust cracks at all. Even if they are at the top I just get rid of it and get a new one.

Jul 22, 2006
All tropical fishes do require a heater for warmth. However, it is optional for Betas. If you wish to have a mini heater for your Beta, then I recommend getting a tank size of at least 2 gallons. You can also have a Beta in a larger community tank with fishies that does not aggressively nip long-flowing fins.

Thunder

Breene

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2006
Ohio
I also reccomend a slightly bigger tank. If you look around garage sales or in your newspaper you will probably be able to find a nice 5 gal for realy cheap (you can get a new one for probably 10 bucks as well but if you find a used one it may come with some extras)

You would find you betta would be a lot happier in a 5 gal and it would be easier to maintain since you can get a filter and heater and some gravel and not have to change all the water every week or whatever they require. I would think to get a whole thing setup, if you buy some stuff used, it would cost no more than 20-30 dollars.

Breene

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2006
Ohio
I also reccomend a slightly bigger tank. If you look around garage sales or in your newspaper you will probably be able to find a nice 5 gal for realy cheap (you can get a new one for probably 10 bucks as well but if you find a used one it may come with some extras)

You would find you betta would be a lot happier in a 5 gal and it would be easier to maintain since you can get a filter and heater and some gravel and not have to change all the water every week or whatever they require. I would think to get a whole thing setup, if you buy some stuff used, it would cost no more than 20-30 dollars.

Ack sorry for the dubble post... computer acting up.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
What's your normal ambient room temperature?

I agree - bettas deserve a lot bigger than an unheated puddle to live in. I wouldn't put one is less than a five gallon heated, filtered tank with a temp of 78-80 or so.

However, people have had luck keeping bettas in teeny small containers that are unheated and unfiltered. Although "surviving" is not the same as "flourishing". That's JMO :)

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
ehh 5 gal tank... i can fit a 2.5 on my desk would that work out? and yes i was gonna get some gravel for him today but didnt like any i seen
im goin to petco tommorrow then as i love my beta already i bought him a tank mate a snail... ill buy him a 2.5 and some background for it and some gravel... filter and stuff will have to wait...i have to buy some food 2 as u guys dont like me feeding him freeze dried? so the beta pellets will work..

ps i saw the chinese shark at petsmart they had a sign that said it was good for 30g of water...

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
If price points are an issue, I'd skip the background (it's really only for us humans viewing pleasure! :) ) and get a mini heater. Something around 25 watts or so. Betta's can live in a 2.5 gallon, it's a heck of a lot better than the cups some people keep them in. Regular large water changes will keep his water clean, but I would look into eventually purchasing an azoo filter Azoo Palm Filter (6 bucks plus shipping!)

For food, I crumble up regular flakes and a few freeze dried bloodworms in it's own container (I crush it all with the back of a spoon) and that's what I feed my betta.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
THUNDER said:
I have 2 Betas in a 2.5 tank and they are doing fine.

Thunder
Male and Female? Still, thats incredibly overcrowded for the bettas. Not to mention that they will have the natural tendency to fight because one will want to breed and the other one won't.

Bettas are tropical and need a heater. That's MHO and I'm sticking to it.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
I have my CT in a 2.5 and he's very happy. Since it's summer, unless you keep the AC in the room pretty cold, you can prolly get away without a heater for him for another month or so, to reduce the cost of this buying trip. But he will eventually need one.

Id recommend possibly putting an otto in there with yours. I have a mini bow and because of how hot the light is and the fact that my tap water comes with nitrates in it theres always some algae in there. The otto in my 2.5 is named Tubby because of his easy access to food :)