Breeding harlequin rabora...

Oct 22, 2002
i have a pair of rasbora...i'm not sure of their sex but i would love to start breeding them...my lfs told me that they are near to impossible to breed..anyone out there had any luck breeding these pretty little fish??? i am willing to buy more fish and another tank but i need some pointers on getting started! thanks in advance ;)

Oct 22, 2002
Razor..what would be a good breeding tank set up? (i.e. water conditions, fish ratio, feeding, lighting, tank size)
I have a 5 gallon tank..will that work?
thanks again

I'd really love to breed these just to prove the LFS that I could!!!!

Oct 22, 2002
Install a 50-litre aquarium fittedwith an angled filter and cover the bottom a thick padding of java moss. And some broad-leafed Anubias genus plants and wait until a pair persents themself in your aquarium. introduce them into there new home, then start to adjust the water to obtain a hardness of 2 dH and a pH of 6.5. in order to do this, use peat filtered rainwater to maintain a pH value lower then neutral.

the pair should start the mating project. the emitted eggs are immediately fertillised and attached to the underside of a leaf. at this stage, darken the aquarium becaue the eggs cannot stand the light, and take the parents out once spawning is finished, the fry will swim freely after about 5 days and must be fed with fine plankton, then with brine srimp nauplii...

good luck....

i hope i helped