brown algae

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
My Hex5 is worse than that...and we're not even going to go into my 45gal (it's horrible right now 'cuz I haven't had time to clean it with finals looming and such). I am totally in love with the oto, though. I just have to say. They're on my short list of favorite fish (right up there with bettas, surprise, surprise). ;-)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Could be, Newman. My tank temp is right around 74 degrees (gotta make it comfy for the girls :p ). I guess mine are all the same age since I got them all at the same time from Petsmart and two of them are the same size (the other one is a little smaller, but he/she looks a little different...more the olive color than the tannish). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get some baby otos!!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Well, *pfffft*! The girls were there first and frankly, I'm not taking all nine of them out until the fry are big enough to make it on their own. :p They'll just have to survive as they can. Amazing that molly fry could survive the girls (or so I've been told they'll be able to), but oto fry can't. I would think with as fast as the adult otos are, the fry would be even faster.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you gotta remember that the fry hatch as microscopic and not even free swimming. if they ever find enough infusoria for sustenance, theyll be taken out by the bettas. im not saying you need to move anyone. i'd be interesting if a few survived :) that way you dont have to cope with finding them all new homes.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
just look very hard in one spot for moving things that look like planaria. they might be even smaller. and the fact that theyre clear doesnt help much...

also its best to check at night.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
here's another question i got: i'm noticing some little white-ish things accumulating at the bottom of the tank. i'm pretty sure it's not left over food because the cory is leaving it alone. they don't look like eggs to me either. could it just be sunken poop that didn't make it into the filter. here's a picture, hard to see though because i'm using my phone and all the brown **** (lol brown ****) on the glass. should i manually go in there and get rid of it or will it just dissolve eventually?

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/2048/hmmwbo.jpg