Button Polyps

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
i like that poylp that was mentioned at the beginning would that flourish in a 29g with 130watts of flour? Also what would be some other corals that are simple to take care of. Just give me some suggestions.
Thanks

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
From what I have found out yes in a 29g with 130 the buttons should be fine. They are somewhat of a lower light coral. Just watch it as you migth need to move it up closer to the top. Mushrooms and a good choice and some polyps. Also a lot of the LPS I have looked at have potential. I don't think any SPS would work.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Euphyllia (aka frogspawns, hammers, torches) are all good and they look great too, they add movement and are very forgiving. They are not huge light hogs so usually can be kept under power compacts etc. Some soft corals are also easier to keep such as colt, cabbage, toadstools and finger leathers. Also mentioned by Joe are mushrooms and polyps types such as zoanthids, palythoas (button polyps), and xenia types.....A word of caution to those with button polyps and zoas that they contain some of the most deadly toxins known to man, should be only handled while wearing gloves and what ever you do, do not touch your fingers to your mouth after handling these....there is no antidote. Also, watch your other pets around any water or buckets that contained them.......

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I read some bad stories about pets dying as a result of eating a frag that fell on the floor. I did read it's not deadly to a person unless you get a lot in your system, which would be hard to do. I haven't been able to completely identify the polyps I have. I'm hoping to get a good pic today after work when they are opend up more.

Are they deadly to fish?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no I don't think so.....fish don't seem to bother with them at all and some crabs actually eat zoas.......so don't be eating any or touching them then putting your fingers in your mouth as Wayne did......at least I think it was Wayne that said his mouth went numb for a couple hours......I don't think it takes much. I have read some pretty scary things about them....and cuts or nicks on your hands...