Byebye Seaclone

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok...finally..seaclone times are over. Unskimming is a thing of the past *PEACE!*
Got a Coralife Super Skimmer 3004. This thing is huge, 6 inches wide by 25.5" . Had cut to my canopy to fit it. . It holds like 5 gallons in the skimmer itself
Rated 220 gallons, i guess it will be ok for a 55 ;-) ...and so quiet. I almost bought the remora pro, but the noise, price and little size made me change my mind.
Anyways, just wanted to share my relief.

Jellybaby

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Montreal
I also got my skimmer this week end :) got the pacific coast ps-200 from world fish. I was going to get the coralife super skimmer also but when i saw the special at world fish and read a little bit on the pacifc coast ( it seems it's the same thing as the super skimmer) i got that one instead.

if you are interested in the pacific coast check it out here at this store :
http://www.aquarecifal.com/magasin/index.php?cPath=30_121

Mine also is very big it's going to take alot of room plus i don't have a sump.
do you have a sump KahluaZzZ, or is it attach directly to your aquarium?
I can't wait to try it and see who it will do.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey Henry22, i got it at www.reefsolution.com but i'm in canada...so ..
The skimmer is attached to the tank, cause my sump is a 10 gallon and can't find a way attach the skimmer...anyways the sump is filled with caulerpa and chaetomorpha, and the only separation can't handle a skimmer that big.
Hey Jellybaby since you don't have a sump, you could buy a 20 g high sump and plug the skimmer in it ( like 30 bucks at big al )..cause it will be ugly in your tank...
There is also the possibility of using a rubbermaid garbage or a big container as a sump...cheap and efficient.
I have to buy more live rock to cover the mighty powerhead and the bubble suppressor box.
The skimmer is still in the break-in period, but showing good signs. I'll do a report later

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
well the seaclone actually stop skimming when the water level is too high or too low..so if you go away like 2 days, you're sure to come home with an empty skimmer.
I guess that's underskimming. Now overskimming i dunno...i guess it could remove some trace elements and coral food too fast.
Also now i have 0 nitrates..flat..nada..none ..i guess the new skimmer is doing his job along with my caulerpa and chaetomorpha.
RockingCricket...i live in montreal, quebec ( Canada )..are u in the states or up north?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Mhhh...well i had my first unpleasant experience with the super skimmer.

The knob works well, but can't be 100 % calibrated. With this skimmer, unlike the seaclone, it's not the air you control, it's the water. Air is always the same. The biggest flaw is that if you turn the water knob a lot, you can actually fill the huge cup with water, then the floor, then all your tank can be drained. I read on reefcentral that a guy drained his tank...great. It's a skimmer that should be kept in a sump 'cause the pump is very low in the tank, and IF too much air get stucked in the air output or bubble trap, then the pressure with make the water raise into the cup..in like 3 seconds ..it's full.
I was talking to a friend 2 days ago, and it backfired live ..i was there so no harm was done, but it damn...that was scary.
Beside that big big problem, the skimmer is very efficient, the gunk is dark and have more crap in my tank that i tought.
This model is made for a huge tank, and it's not easy to install in a 55 gallons, so if i could go back in time, i would take the 125g super skimmer..even if it's only 20 $ cheaper.
Now i need to cut the top of the cup and use silicone to glue a wide tubing in case the cup if filled to quickly..it would go back into the tank..that or have a bigger sump. Damn..where's my beloved dremel