Can German Blue Rams live in harmony in a Cichlid tank?

Jun 18, 2007
Albany NY area
Or is this a no-no? I have a 55 gallon that I would like to make an African Cichlid tank, but have also always liked the GBR's. I was told not to include them in my existing community 30 gallon that is mollies, platies, tetras, swordtails, couple angels and a gourami.

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2007
Albany NY area
Define cichlid tank. African, no way...never ever. A semi-aggressive SA setup, possibly. Better odds then the african for sure.

Hmm...I was thinking of going the African route, but sounds like the GBR's are out of the question then! This 55 gallon fell into my lap for free, and I am now trying to play catch up with the Cichlid info before I set it up. Any advice for a beginner Cichlid tank? I certainly like the look of a good African setup with the rocks and all. That is why I was thinking of going African.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
African cichlids comprise a very large range of cichlids with many differences in size, water chemistry and diet. So if you want african, that's a good start, but still lots of reading to do to figure out exactly what types of african's you want to keep :)

On the plus side, a 55 gallon is a very good size to start out with, as for the most part you'll have lots of options of what to stock.

Most people talk about mbuna and other rift lake species when they speak of 'African cichlids', so if that's the case then yeah, you may want to pass on the GBR's in this tank.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I love Africans, i'd recommend them before anything. I love Lake Malawi personally, much more color and options to choose from.

Mbuna are always good starter africans and still can make one heck of a tank. They are always up to something. Imagine your favorite new world cichlid on PCP.

I'd go Mbuna myself, Haps and Peacocks are more open water swimmers are a 55gal doesn't have the best measurements IMO. Though depending on species of Mbuna, you might get away with 1 or 2 mixed in.

As far as species is concerned for Mbuna...take your pic from the hundreds haha. Really depends on what you can get locally or from breeders/internet sources. Your LFS should have the run of the mill "Mixed Africans". Which is like the humane society with dogs. Nothing really wrong with them but they are most likely mutts or crosses, might find a gem in there sometime, so to a purist, they arn't the most desirable fish. Yellow Labs, all of the "Zebras" are good starters, cobalt blues, so many to choose from.

Advice? Take your time and pick out some species and get the info on them to make the best possible mix of fish. We are all impulse shoppers i know its tough to resist. And try and get most of the fish at once, or at least i would. Kind of helps you in the long run and you can weed out the trouble makers as they come along. At least try and get the same size fish. And if you do decide to go Mbuna, be sure to work in some veggies into their diet.

Lots of rock! :)