can I use bleach to clean fish tanks?

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
well when you say cycle like the article I just read on your sticky?

no.

We have a small one gallon fish bowl I kept the fish in while I changed the rocks. After a while they seemed to be gasping for air, the tank was set up and I put the prime in for about 30 mins before I had to put the fish in the tank. I wish I would of read these articles before I did all that. I used the same bio wheel as before so I think it might of had a little bit of bacteria built up on it.

what do you usually store your fish in when you do major work on your aquarium?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
nealio said:
well when you say cycle like the article I just read on your sticky?

no.

We have a small one gallon fish bowl I kept the fish in while I changed the rocks. After a while they seemed to be gasping for air, the tank was set up and I put the prime in for about 30 mins before I had to put the fish in the tank. I wish I would of read these articles before I did all that. I used the same bio wheel as before so I think it might of had a little bit of bacteria built up on it.
Since you put fish in before cycling the tank that means that you are doing a fish-in cycle. There are a few products on the market that can "instant cycle" a tank (Biospira) or speed up the cycle (Seachem Stability), which would ease the stress on your current fish.

what do you usually store your fish in when you do major work on your aquarium?
I have a rubbermaid tub that my fish resided in for a few hours last night while furniture in my apartment was being rearranged.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
tessalion said:
Since you put fish in before cycling the tank that means that you are doing a fish-in cycle. There are a few products on the market that can "instant cycle" a tank (Biospira) or speed up the cycle (Seachem Stability), which would ease the stress on your current fish.

I have a rubbermaid tub that my fish resided in for a few hours last night while furniture in my apartment was being rearranged.

good idea for the rubbermaid. Anything like 5 gallons and up I assume?