Cloudy water

Hello I'm kind of new to this forum thing so bare with me. Thanks:) uhm i have a 20 gal tank and i have a bio filter in my 20 gal i have four plastic plants and a declaration peice and a buble stone (i think thats what it's called *twirlysmi) well any way i've had the bump going four about 5 days now and the water is cloudy i used sink water and i but in the purifier and everything and i also purchased a chemical to make the water completely clear but it's not working:mad:. i want to know if the waters cloudy cause of my biowheel or something else. Please i'm worried:eek:

Aug 10, 2009
no worries, how long has the tank been up? how many of what kind of fish? a must have are test kits! PH, and ammonia are the biggest but if you buy the kit thats a good deal.

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Wow.. the grammar and spelling mistakes made it hard to get through that post.. But what I gather is that you've had a tank set up with no fish, but with the "bump" (pump) up and running for 5 days.. So basically, you have tap water in your tank, and you're wondering why it's cloudy.. Is the "bump" a filter, or is it just a pump with an airstone making bubbles? What you want is a filter that hangs on the back, preferably with a bio-wheel to colonize the beneficial bacteria...

First of all, you need to do either a fish-in or no-fish cycle... What you want to do is breed bacteria in your tank that will take care of the waste from the fish..

Do a Google search for fishless cycling and buy some pure ammonia to add to the water, or search for just plain cycling and add some fish to start the cycle.. But doing nothing and just running a "bump" won't get your tank ready for fish...

Thanks to all, and i understand the mistakes in spelling and grammer.I was in a rush. but ya i have no fish in my twenty gal. tank i have a filter not a (Bump:)) and i have a airstone. My tap water is purified. I have gravel on the bottom of my tank. I have a few fake plants. and an ornament. the Filter has been running since saturday. and i have a biowheel in the filter. my water is cloudy still.And the filter hangs of the back.

p.s i really don't understand the cycle thing with the good bacteria and all that stuff can u explain( i call myself little fry for a reason i'm new to this :confused:)

Jun 18, 2009
Austin,TX
its it like milky cloudy or another color? if its a white milky cloud its just a bacterial bloom and thats a sign of a healthy tank my 10 gallon community just went through one and after a couple of weeks its back to crystal clear goodness

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
its it like milky cloudy or another color? if its a white milky cloud its just a bacterial bloom and thats a sign of a healthy tank my 10 gallon community just went through one and after a couple of weeks its back to crystal clear goodness

Actually, chris, s/he said there are no fish in the tank and s/he hasn't been fishless-cycling, so it won't be a bacterial bloom -- they have no food source.

Did you rinse your gravel well before adding it to the tank? Do a sizable water change. And remember, cloudiness does not necessarily equal something wrong, and is almost never harmful to fish, and in many cases will clear up with proper maintenance over time.

And keep on reading up on fishless cycling. Reading over the info several times will help imprint a better understanding of the why's and wherefore's than just running through it once. And since you read the info, you now understand the need for a test kit, I'm sure. Get the ones with the drops, not the strips -- more accurate, and they last longer too. You could get the API Master Test Kit, or you could buy individual test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.