Clown Loach Habits.

I have always been led to beleive that their diet consists mainly of crustaceans, but I have been told I am wrong on another fishy web site, they are of the opinion that they are vegetarian?
Never heard this before.
Even Herbert Axelrod states that they should be fed a live diet, I cant remember the last time I saw a plant moving around the tank.8)

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have read on how they catch the loaches is they put food (  I would think meat) in a tube in the body of waters when the loach goes in it gets stuck :eek: But, that really isn't proof  :-[ Hmmmmm.................. they  might be :eek: ::)

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Cloth,

Is this in the wild..or in a tank?

In the wild I would say they would have the habits you suggested in eatting. Only vegitation as a supplement or alternative when they cant find a good snail or shrimp.

In the aquarium, they are omnivorous, eatting what they get but I always gave mine worms, ghost shrimp , with an occasional sinking pellet or algae wafer.

So saying they are vegetarians is untrue.
8)

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
I have 2 clown loaches. The first one is about a year and a half old (thats now long I've had him) and he is at least 4 and a half inches long...mabye 5 inches.  And he eats ANYTHING I put in the tank.  I got him in the beginning to control my snails.  Well...he ate every single snail in there except for the ones that were bigger than his head, lol.  Now that all the snails are gone, he eats regular fish food.  He is so funny, he comes up to the top and swims on his back and side to get the flakes off the top of the water...he just cant wait for them to get to the bottom of the tank for him!  He gets those sinking pellets also.  I;ve never tried giving him veggies...but he doesnt bother the plants in the tank.  Im thinking about raising some little snails in another tank just so he will have them for snacks, lol.

The other one I just got a few weeks ago.  He is only about 2 inches long and soooo cute.  He is in my 55 gallon tank.  I didnt get him to control snails....I got him just because I love my other one so much :)  

Britfish

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Last night one of my Clon Loach's was so into the slice of cucumber I put in the tank (wedged in gravel) he got stuck in the hole he had created in the middle.  After a bit of struggling he swam free.  Cucumber bites back!  *crazysmiley*

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I tend to agree with Matt Nace, Clown Loaches are probably omnivorous. I guess it would have to be whatever the loach is in the mood for (no steak tonight dear, I think I'll just have a salad<G>). In my experience, I have seen clowns eat just about anything, from live snails (which I do throw in as a snack for them), to algae waffer and shrimp pellet. In the store I use a primarily shrimp pellet diet. Then again, I try to wean all the fish I get off of live foods as fast as I can because I know live foods are hard to obtain for some people, especially beginners who may not know how or where or what.

But a betta in a vase might just as well nibble the plant roots, even if he is thriving and happily well fed. If I had nothing but bread and water for a diet every day, cockroachs would probably sound appatizing.  I think variety is more the key. I don't think there is one food that is the all or none factor in Clown Loach dietary needs. A clown loach on a strictly veggie diet might not thrive, but a clown loach on a strictly meaty diet might not thrive either. *shrug* Alls I know is whatever I'm doing seems to work because the loaches I have don't seem to be starving none.
~~Colesea