CLOWNFISH QUESTION ???

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
HEY YALL HAVNT POSTED FOR A WHILE I HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY WITH MY NEW PETSTORE THAT I BOUGHT. IT IS SO GREAT AND SO MUCH WORK I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I KNOW ALOT ABOUT FW BUT STILL NEEDING A LITTLE HELP WITH MY SW STUFF.

HERE IS MY QUESTION. WHAT IS THE BEST ANEMONES TO PUT WITH A CLOWN??? I HAVE A FEW THINGS THAT IM NOT SURE ABOUT PUTTING THEM WITH THE CRABS AND SNAILS. FOR THE BIGGEST PART OF INFO THAT I HAVE READ RED LEGGED CRABS ARENT GOOD TO PUT WITH ANEMONES. WHAT IM LOOKING FOR IS SOMETHING THAT WILL LIKE MY OCELLARIS CLOWN. IM LOOKING TO PUT OTHER CORALS AND ANEMONES LATER ON. SO WHAT IS BEST.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea i am a little unclear on that as well, typically i would recomend a carpet anemone fo clowns they are a natural host but they are very picky about water quality and you need intense metal halides to keep them, but if you bought a pet store you should be able to achieve all this i guess....

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
Yes I bought a pet store The name of it is Habitats Pet Store. How it all happened was I started a cellular store about a year ago and I made enough money off it and I have built up some credit at the bank. So when I was offered the great deal I took it. (and the people that started it was drug heads and they spent all there money on drugs and they didnt like all the hard work so they sold).

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well, if you really arent joking and do own a petstore, I believe it is very irresponsible on your part. Reason being, you are asking for advice that a novice or partially experienced aquarist should already know. Being an owner people will be asking you questions and seeking advice. The BEST way to lose buisness is steer people the wrong way. With this being said a little more research should be going underway.

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
To: S. Reef Like I said before I have the freshwater down and everything else that is needed for a petstore the only thing is the SW. There are a few things that I need to learn and that why Im asking and trying to find out as much as I can. I think that is very rude for you to say that it is irresponsible to learn stuff because I can asure you that god didnt just bless you to be the saltwater king (you had to learn also.) I guess thats why you dont have a store and I do. Looks like your the irresponsible one. One more thing for the most part that people has posted on here for this question clowns are hard to get to adapt to most anemones.

BTW the petstore is in wytheville VA

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
it is totally random as to whether clowns decide to take to an anemone or not, i have had clowns in a tank with an anemone not take and then put another anemone in and they go right to it, same with putting other clowns in, there is no tried and true formula.

I dont think that S. Reef was trying to be rude, i think he was simply trying to point out that a LFS is somewhere that most people go to get advice, and if your asking us, we for the most part learned it from our LFS owners for the most part, it just seems a little ironic... anyways good luck with the store, and you might want to look into hiring someone who has a comfortable background in salt water tanks until you get you SW feet under you
Brahm

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
as far as the anemone goes, there are certain natural symbiotic pairs, eg Maroon Clowns and BTAs which will almost always work...its a chemical thing. the problem comes when you dont have the correct combinations

im gonna back sam here, maybe it isnt yet time for you to sell SW stuff (perhaps fish only?), stick to what you know......if you arent careful you will lose a crapload of stock and a crapload of money, even if you arent smoking dope like the last owners.

"I guess thats why you dont have a store and I do" is just such an immature response; frankly, i think your that kind of thing could get you into trouble...you have to realize, customers are gonna lay into you if you f up so you have to be prepared for that, and ready to smile and nod and take it as best you can, or you will lose their business

i do wish you lots of luck, remember not to get too down if things don't go as planned right away, and i sincerely think everyone is just trying to look out for your best interests, and the interests of the animals

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you look around, for instance wetwebmedia.com, you will find tables of what anemonaes work with what clownfish, though there are always exceptions to the rule. It should be easy enough. The usual problem is that people have clowns in too small anemonaes and the clowns pester them to death, or they're just not prepared to deal with anemaonaes anyway. I guess thts why 90% + of the ones sold die in under 3 months.
I'm going with the popular opinion here - if you don't know how to care for the livestock, don't sell it. People do expect to rely on their lfs for support, and 'I'm learning' is a ridiculous answer, and utterly irresponsible. And not going to be good for business. If you're good with Freshwater build your business round that. If you're not experienced with salt how are you going to deal with disaster x, y or z. What are you going to do when you get a swapped shipment, and you don't recognise 50% of the fish?
Everyone on every bulletein board bangs on a bout this lfs sucks or that lfs sucks and the other is a disgrace. Join the group of lfs's that everyone loves, and is prepared to support, else your money will be going down the drain fast unless you thik you can outcheap Big Als. Do what you know you can do well..

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I think aresgod had a really good idea for you. If you open a pet store your going to need employee's -- just make sure that one of them know a lot about SW. then everyone will be happy -- you will have SW fish and corals and your customer's will have someone to talk to about SW and you said your good with everything else so --- your in business---

GOOD LUCK WITH THE STORE.

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
WOW, This is a lot of fun watching you irresposible people argue ----- (jk)------ But on a real level who really cares weither or not you own or dont own a petstore. We all own fish right? Thats why we all type on forums right?

But if you want to agrue about owning pet store then so be it ... but at least start a thread about it. so that if people want to know about CLOWNFISH then they dont have to read about peoples personal feeling toward one another, at least i dont and Sam your way more intelligent then that to keep this going just forget about it.