clowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2005
Port Dover Ontario
i know you guys didnt want me to get anything but i couldnt resist i bought a clown and an anemone its a carpet anenmone and the clowns that were in with it loved it but the clwn i got was in a different tank so i dont know he knows about it is there anything i can do to make it go in it. o its a true percula clown if that helps

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i will be as gentle as i can:

this was a horrible decision on your part. you should return the anemone before it dies (which will be soon) and the clown is only going to contribute to your algae problems...not to mention that your damsels will likely fight with it

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I just want to make you aware that Carpet Anenomies are WAY more difficult than others. They are VERY delicate and require PRISTINE water conditions. They require a GOOD WATER CURRENT as well as STRONG lighting. I wish you luck but I HIGHLY DOUBT that you will have this animal long and I feel that you are not only wasting your money but you are also putting animals through conditions that they shouldnt be in! If you want to have all of these things you should do your research and DO IT RIGHT!!

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Another thing about carpet anemones is they can get very, very large and can be serial fish killers. A guy in my local reef club had his hand stung terribly by his carpet grown out of control, and the anemone had eaten several of his favorite fish.

I'm not coming down on you for your decision because it's your tank and nobody has a right to yell at you about it or get personal, but you asked for some advice. My advice would be to return the anemone solely on the basis of this fact:

It will ultimately die, probably sooner than later (but I've seen one live more than a week in sewer like conditions), because lighting is way too weak and your parameters aren't stable for it yet. When it dies, it can make an apocalyptic mess. I'm not just talking out of my hat; I knew someone who put a carpet in a 20 gallon tank with just one "reef rated" fluorescent light tube right out when he started and when it finally gave up the ghost the water turned to a nasty milk color.

So I'd return it just to avoid the hassle of a big mess when it dies.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2005
Port Dover Ontario
ok ive read up on it and seen that its hard but i forgot to say i alos got a small pink tip anemone it was really cheap but it was really big when i got it but sometimes it goes really small is this normal or bad and i think ii have good ehough lighting for thes anemones.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE KIDDING ME RIGHT!!??!! YOU CANT HAVE 2 DIFFERENT ANENOMIES IN THE SAME TANK!!! IF YOUR ANENOMIES GET NEAR EACHOTHER THEY WILL KILL EACH OTHER!!!! YOU CAN HARDLY GET AWAY WITH PUTTING AN ANENOMIE INTO A TANK WITH OTHER CORAL (IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT YOU HAVE TO WAIT AT LEAST A MONTH TO LET THE ANENOMIE SETTLE DOWN). YOU DO KNOW THAT ANENOMIES MOVE RIGHT??? YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVENT DOWN ENOUGH REASEARCH!!!!!!!! I STAND BY WHAT I SAID PREVIOUSLY!!!! YOU JUST NEED TO STOP!!!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The Carpet Anemone requires a tank with strong lighting and good water movement. The aquarium should provide a variety of sandy and rocky locations. The Carpet Anemone may prefer one more than the other, and will move about the tank until it finds the location of its choice. It has a potent sting and may harm corals and other anemones as it moves about the aquarium. It is not compatible with other Anemones within a 12" diameter.
-From liveaquaria.com

Having a single or double normal flourescent tube light on a 60g is not "strong lighting."

Status
Not open for further replies.