Compatible Species & pH

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I'm sorry I cannot tell what that is...but if its growing on the gravel I would remove the infected gravel bits.

It's very possible that that particular test could be expired. go take a water sample to your LFS and see if they get 8ppm ammonia.
If they don't then you'll likely have to buy another kit. please check the expiration date on it this time when you buy it lol.

Scyroes

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Update:

Sorry for the delayed response! Anyways after having my water tested at my LFS, they told me I had about 2ppm ammonia, they gave me a small testing sample which I took home and used after doing another water change and I was able to rid myself of the ammonia.

Unfortunately not long after I ended up having an Ich outbreak in my aquarium. The latest cichlid that I introduced a few weeks ago ended up displaying the dreaded white spots and the other remaining fish were swimming against the gravel which is also a symptom of the illness. I suspect he was stressed by one of the other fish to the point of contracting it as he was constantly chased.

I’m on my third day of treatment – I raised the aquarium temperature to 82 (to speed up the lifecycle of the parasite) and I’m also using API’s Super Ich Cure. According to the directions, I should be in the clear by Sunday.
Now I was wondering if there is anything else that I should be doing? I also noticed that some of my artificial decor contain a few white specks, would washing them with hot water be sufficient ensuring their parasite free?

Thanks again for you help!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
don't bother with the ich cure. just add a little salt and keep your temp high. that will kill the ich. after it's visibly gone you need to continue treatment with salt and high temp for another week or two to make sure it doesn't come back...

w/e the LFS gave you was prolly unnecessary :(

Scyroes

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Just use regular aquarium salt? I’ve actually never used it before. As far as the chemical treatment goes, it probably does more harm than good. I read up on some of the ingredients and apparently there is a level of toxicity that is passed on to the fish.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if the treatment has copper in it, ditch it nao.
aquarium salt is ideal. if you've never added salt to your tank then add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon right now. might seem like a little too much, but trust me thats actually a light dosage....plus it relaxes fish, unless you overdose by accident x_x