Concrete rocks

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Yes the shapes are good, and the porosity is likely better than most limestones.

As a project it's agood idea, so press on. Why not - but fill it up with water anddouble check the pH

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I think that this is a good project. To me it is interesting and for thoes with a large tank it is a way to get some nice base rock for a low price. I have read many articles about people making their own rock. They turn out just like the rest. It is Aquaculturing on a small scale.

The shapes of the rock look like real live rock. Now all he needs is to seed them and let it go. I am interested to see how this turns out.

MAHA

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm a noob to this fish tank thing but i'm not a noob to building materials, so just an FYI for you guys about concrete.

Concrete is made up of:
Portland Cement/lime - bonding agent
Water
Aggregate - often crushed stone (gravel) sometimes its sand for things like morter

sometimes concrete has addidives mixed into to either speed up the drying process or to slow it down.. these are the things i'd worry about putting into a fish tank as they're usually toxic chemicals.
if this was a mix bag of concrete from your local building supply store it probably doesn't have any addidives in it as they're expensive

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Like I said, this is just an experiment. So far the water params are right where they should be. I know to watch for certain things that might leach out into the water an affect the pH, but so far pH is stable at 8.3. This bag did come from lowes so I don't know what it might have in it. I have had a diatom bloom a few times, but that's about it.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I'm new to SW so i also think this is interestine, not sure how/if it will affect anything but some times concrete will have calcium added to it which will leach out, so if that has an affect on SW keep an eye out for that too.