conflicting help from my LFS

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
help..

i just went to the fish shop to get some last minute things.
they asked me what i was setting up, and my stats...

i told them marine tank - with a canister filter for current (no media) a couple of extra power heads. and i was going to relay on LR for filtration.

OOOOO NOOOOOOO
he was amazed that i was doing this. he said i should have meda in my filter and tried to sell me on bigger power heads. basicly he said that i wont have any bacteria in my tank. so when i add live rock my amonia is going to jump (this i dont understand aswell. i thought amonia is cause by matter breaking down. i have a fresh tank surely there isn much breaking down to be worried about) and my rock will start dieing off.

i have been running my tank with salt mixed to the correct salinaty and ph at 8.1 for 1 week already. and nothing else apart from crushed corel in it.

am i doing anything wrong. should i have medi in my filters etc....

HELP please.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
but should he have stuff in his filter? I would personaly tell you to get out know while you still have time.( I mean with your canister filter) I would realy think about shoping around for a protien skimmer.(even if money is tight, it's worth it) Salt water is very different from fresh. All you realy need is water movement about 10x the amount of water you have in you tank and a skimmer. And yes the LR(live rock) is your filtration. Your tank will calm down after it has cycled for a little while and your amonia should drop, and ph should rais.

But I would wait to see some other post from some of the vets on this sight. I am still just learning. good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
ok. i will be taking a water sample to my LFS that i got the stuff originaly from (they have always been helpfull) if they say its ok i might put same LR in and see what happen if all goes well ill get more next weekend (what do you recon 5kg first). was wonder if i should start my in hood tricle filter up to aggitate the water at the top of the tank and put some filter wool in just to catch some if the particles thats floating around the tank..

would that be ok or will it cause problems. just my tank is a bit cloudy at the moment tiny particles floating around

edit**** i will be getting a skimmer soon, looking for an external one... i might go get another powerhead aswell.

cheers

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
If have been doing research for a wile now. and i have realy been following advice on these forums. nearly every shop i have been into has had a different way of setting up my tank.

thats why im asking so many question.

but all your help is realy appreciated.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well you'll probably want about another 40 kilos at some point..... It's up to you if you use the cannister or not, but it won't be your primary filter

JEP

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2005
Elgin, IL
Yes Aron I would add more live rock if you can afford it, it will help speed up your cycle. I would also run your filter as it will help clear up the water. I use a Fluval cannister and I have "stuff" in it. Sponges, charcoal, and limestone rocks. It works well, just be sure to clean it out consistently. You'll have to monitor how long it takes yours to get dirty and adjust your cleaning intervals accordingly. I had the same problem with cloudiness and particulates floating around when my tank was new. The cannister (with media) will clear that up in a few days. For a 90Gal tank I also think you will need another power head or 2 because I don't know if the cannister will provide enough flow.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
The cloudiness is normal, give it a week and it will clear up, with out using the canister, you can use it if you want but it tends to trap nitrates even if you are diligent about cleaning them it is hard to get nitrates down to an acceptable reef level with a canister

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
my canister sucked!!! I would strongly suggest not using it. I even had a nice canister filter....but they are nitrate factories like aresgod said. Get a grip of LR a nice skimmer and some powerheads...and forget about the canister...imo, if yer only gonna do fish you could get away with canister but more likely than not you'll be wanting some reef...and the canister will put ya two or more steps back for a reef....

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
thanks all but my canister is empty - no media.... so i cant see how its going to be bad...

also would a skimmer get rid of the ramaining particles that are in my tank.. its pretty clear there are just some particles that are still floating around.

cheers aron.