Convicts Making Babies?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I have 2 convict cichlids in my 29 gallon tank and I know for a fact that they are male and female. The thing is they are not very big. The male is almost 2 inches and the female is about 1.5 inches long. Do you guys think that's to small for them to breed? Anyways I had noticed then pushing on my peice of driftwood, it's hollow btw, and so I moved it out and I have noticed they keep going in and out of it and now the female has the orange colors blazing behind her fins and her fins are also getting blue in them. And right behind her fins she is swelling up really big. This is why I think she may be full of eggs. Do you guys think they could be breeding? Thanks. ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well my female has been swelled up since July 16th and she is still swelled and they havn't laid any eggs either. Is it normal for her to be swelled so long like this? Thanks. ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
What exactly is dropsy? I just don't think a fish holds eggs for this long so I'm starting to think that maybe somethings wrong. Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks. :D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well todays the 6th and i don't think it's normal for her to be swelled this long. Does anyone know how long convicts usually hold their eggs before they drop them? Thanks. ;D

catfish

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Are you sure she's holding eggs and not something else?  You could try a 25% water change to see if that prompts her to lay them.  Does she have a cave like area to lay them?  

Good luck, its great to watch convicts as parents, they take care of their young well.