copepods: good or bad?

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
howdy,

I've had my 20 gal reef going strong for about 3 months now. I notice a lot of these clear bug looking things in my LR, especially at night. look like a lot of em. from what I gather from reading these are copepods. they give me the willies :p , but are they a good thing or a bad thing? should I leave em, or get something in my tank that eats them (my clowns obviously don't). current stock is in my sig. thanks!

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
They are very good to have. And yeah a copepod eating fish or critter would only be a good idea to have if they eat something else too.

I have a mandarin in my ten but he eats roe. Also I tried the whole copepod farming thing, and my first attempt was a failure, but I grow what seems like a million in my vase. If they bug you too much I guess you can clean them off with a sponge at night when they congregate on the glass.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I seen a bottle at a LFS that said copepods on it for $25. The bottle was clear and a green piece of string looking thing was inside. What is that? I seen that green string thing in one of their display tanks and a fishie was eating it.

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
hi again all,

retouching on this one. here I am 9 months later, everything still going strong, especially the mushroom corals. but to the point...

now I have TONS of copepods in there. when I feed the clowns, the LR literally seethes with these things! the seem to really upset my green polyps too as every time a copepod touches one they close up. translation, my polyps stay closed up a lot. is there ever a point where I need to think about controlling the population of these things?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think you need to take a picture of what it is in your tank that you are looking at .. .... yes it sounds like copepods but they shouldn't be affecting your polyps...exactly how big are they? they aren't isopods are they? which are not a bad thing either.....depending on what kind they are.....

If they are copepods and they are that prolific and they bother you that much you could get a fish that does eat them, but not something like a mandarin that is solely dependant on them. Some fish such as some wrasses will eat them ..

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
tried taking a picture but they don't come out, my camera isn't good enough. they clearly aren't eating the polyps, but when they forage around the polyp's rim, it will close. some of them are fairly big (for a copepod), maybe even 1/2 an inch long.

I don't think a 20 gallon tank is big enough to support another fish. won't peppermint shrimp eat copepods? I though I read somewhere that they will. was thinking maybe of trying that. had one a long time ago and really liked it. less bioload than a fish too.

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
btw, I'm mostly curious if they ever become a problem that needs to be controlled. I don't have a problem with them per-say, and I know they are considered a good thing. just wondering if there is ever too-much of a good thing.