coral cleaning?

Sep 9, 2007
Florida
yeah i did a water change and well i was adding 10ml of both calcium and alk i was told that is how much you use on a 55gal tank my little 12gal will go into shock with that much so yeah 3ml is what i was told to put in there and test every week. good new my toadstool leather started to open up today i'm so happy (-;

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay but even 458 is high on a low demand small tank. I still think your ca and alk demands would easily be met with a good water change regimen of 3g a week which amounts to a bucket once a week.....piece of cake and everyone will be a happy camper. The carbon is okay but waterchanges would take care of the issue too......most issues in a tank that size can be solved with frequent and good water changes

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
When you say filtered what exactly do you mean? is it reverse osmosis filtered and de-ionized or is it filtered by another means?

Kent salt is good salt.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well a couple of things. Filtered water through a normal type filter isn't really sufficient but it does depend on the source water. Reverse osmosis is recommended as it removes about 90% of disolved solids (TDS) from the water which could be consist of silicates and phosphates that are not removed via regular filtering alone. The remaining 10% of tds are removed inthe de-ionization process which will make the water virtually 99.9% free of tds which can contribute to algae blooms and diatoms later down the road. A UV sterilizer is really not necessary and adds virtually no benefit to a tank of your size, again you are better off spending the money on a sump or more live rock, properly quarantining any livestock additions and you won't have parasite problems.....as they will manifest themselves during the qt process.

Sep 9, 2007
Florida
but parasies such as ick they go up to the surface find and host and then they fall off and repeat the cycle, and once its in your tank it will always be there am i right or not? while in with a UV you can get rid of them once in for all and keep your water parasite free

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
not exactly. It can live in the substrate. The only way to ensure you don't have ich is to quarantine any new additions for the proper length of time. Adding a fish with ich to a tank even with a uv sterilizer is contaminating the whole display. The only way to eradicate ich from the display is to remove all fish and let it remain fallow for the 6 week cycle.

Here is a good article

BizUVs

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
UV's are both good and bad for reef tanks. They are indiscriminate in what they kill. In other words they kill good and bad and they only kill what actually goes through them. They are probably more suited to a fish only tank than a reef as they will kill the planktonic lifeforms that coral live off of. They are also probably unnecessary if you practice good husbandry. Please read the link I posted along with the links within the links before you throw good money away........

Sep 9, 2007
Florida
you got a good point there with killing good and bad bacteria. i was woundering about that my self now that nano reefs are much more complicated i wouldnt want to kill the good stuff i just set up a QT for the futur when ever i need it when fish are sick or new live stock i put in my main tank got a 10gal with a 20whisper filter and two air stones and keep the tank bare bottom