crab maybe?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Just weird that as soon as i added them snails started to die?! im gonna take em out of the tank just in case.. maybe i can trade someone 4 peppermints for a cleaner or a small frag of something lol .. if anyones in ohio and wants to trade let me know*celebrate .. thanks for all the input guys!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Peppermint shrimp are hit and miss with aiptasia. I would keep an eye on things - crabs are an extremely likely predator on snails, and a lot of hermits are quite badly behaved.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Wayne, Jim says he doesn't have any crabs or hermits......hmmmm I wonder Jim if you don't have a hitchiker in your live rock you don't even know about....try the midnight look and see with a red lens flashlight. Cleaner shrimp will be no different than the peppermints......they are both types of cleaner shrimp. I am sure they are cleaning the shells.......What is the temp of your water, some snails that they sell come from temperate waters and just can't make it in higher temp reef setups.......

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
my water stays at 80.. i have moon lights and i work 2nd shift.. my wife turns the lights out about 10 and i don't get home till almost midnight so when i do get home theres pleanty going on in the tank.. haven't seen a crab or anything yet. maybe i just got some killer shrimp lol.. i took the shrimp out last night and put them in a tank i found in the basement no dead snails this morning when i woke up..

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
sorry about that.....a lot of margurita snails come from the baja which is cold water....watch when they say western pacific....means cold water usually...most of those are destined to die. I have been thinking of getting a bunch of nassarius off ebay as they are cheap, problem is I dont know where they come from.

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
I've seen those auctions, pretty sure they just go down to the beach, they'd be fine if you were feeding them to a mantis or something but they just won't last in our reef temps. It's too bad.

The lfs had the ones that I bought on accident, they were shipped to them mislabeled, and they didn't know. They kinda took a hit on them. I watched them pull like 25 empty shells from their tank.