crawdad and planted

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
just reset up my 10 gallon after having it in storage for a while, and the only thing I have in there right now is an "electric blue lobster" with a plant that I'm not really sure what it is.

i think that im either going to put a school of smaller fish (tetras maybe?) or shrimp in there to go with the crawdad. maybe a few more plants.

my bulbs are 30 watts each, 2 of them. from what I've read this is way over the wpg rule so i think I'm probably ok with any plant.

will the crawdad go after shrimp?

pics coming later.

on a side note I am trying to decide on a name, the ones that pop into my head are citizen snips, and clamp.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
yeah thats why i asked about the shrimp. though i think someone on here has a shrimp/crawdad tank ill try to find it and see.

i think i read that fast fish are about the only thing you can keep with a crawdad, because hell attack anything slow enough for him to catch.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
My blue would stand on top of my driftwood whit his claws open waiting for a snack to come to him. I didn't have a problem with him eating shrimp but I had him in a 150 gallon. A 10g might be a little tight. Make sure you keep the lid on tight or you might get a toe grabbed by the little bugger. Not that that ever happened to me ::Grin::

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
seems like 6-8" though it also seems like "electric blue lobster" is pretty generic as to what it is. most websites agree that it can be in a 10 gallon tank and that 20 is ample. they also basically agree that no fish is probably suitable with him.

that being said i think i am going to try some cheap feeder fish, just to see how he interacts with them. right now hes been under a rock for the past...oh 10 hours or so..If he will come out and chase around the fish i think that would be interesting.

yeah fortunately my lid is basically a one piece, so im hoping that clamps cant get out.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
i put a second plant in there today because i wanted fish, but found a plant i liked instead.

he has yet to come out today, but i moved the terrain and he scurried around a little, so i dont think he is molting.

i thought i desnailed my plants, but there is one snail crawling on my tank. im not sure that i want to get rid of him though...is there anything wrong with snails?

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
You haven't mentioned it yet, but crawdads hate plants. At least mine did. Everytime I plated one, it was floating within an hour. I was pretty sure he was doing it just to make me mad.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
yeah i stopped by an lfs (well not local it was like 20 minutes away) and they said that danios would work since i don't have a heater. I'm not ready to put fish in it yet, since it is probably still cycling.

heres my plants...the one looks kinda like its dieing in parts...should i prune it?

my main worry for my plants is that they wont get enough co2 until i put more fish in there...but i dont want to do that until i have the tank set up and cycled.

i might do a diy co2 setup what with the yeast and the what not, if only till i get the more fish. thoughts about this?

Last edited:

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
so the crawdad hasnt come out once today...if it is like this tomorrow then I am going to take out the terrain and reposition in such a way that i can at least see inside his cave.

Jun 21, 2008
Danios aren't cold water fish, so they do need a heater. And I don't know much about plants, but I don't think that fish provide the CO2 they need. Also, I'm not sure how much the cycling will affect the crawdad, or if the tank will even cycle with just him in it, I don't know how much of a bioload he is.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
so i put an algae wafer in there to see if he would go after it...i turn around and its gone.

he went out grabbed it and drug it into his cave...

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
the plants you have, if you're wondering, are common named Rotala (first pic) and Baby Tears (second pic, and I am not 100% on that naming). I wouldn't trim them yet as they should adjust before you go cuttin'. However, I get the distinct feeling that those plants are going to be demolished once your clawed fiend gets comfortable in his tank and does some exploring.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
lol...i hope not but if they do ill just move them to my other tank...

thanks for the help on the plants. if they continue to look sorta brown how long should i wait to trim off the dieing parts?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
well it depends on the brownness it depends on which plant you mean, the lighting you are providing, the amount of time they have spent in the tank, and what *you* mean by brown (as odd as it sound, every one has a different version of brown/dying plants)

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
well it depends on the brownness it depends on which plant you mean, the lighting you are providing, the amount of time they have spent in the tank, and what *you* mean by brown (as odd as it sound, every one has a different version of brown/dying plants)
the top one is slightly yellow, with the edges brown. the second one obviously has a huge yellow/dead chunk.

2 30 watt bulbs

top one since sunday, bottom one since monday

and by brown i mean a kinda yellow brown, like a dieing leaf on a non-submerged plant.