crazy mollie

Aug 13, 2015
oklahoma
Ok so I had 2 mollies and 5 platys. Well I think my tank wasn't quite finished cycling a I lost a molly and 1 platy. Now since my Mollie is by himself he keeps trying to mate with the female platys. He is nipping them and trying to mate and chasing them! I don't know what to do but he is bothersome. I have 3 female platys and 1 male platy. Should I get a few more mollies or get rid of him?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Either way would work. If you get more mollies, look for females. Otherwise, I'm sure the store would take him back (maybe in exchange for store credit). A lot of male livebearers are just plain horny.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
how big is your tank? your mollies will start breeding and then you'll end up with a bunch of baby mollies which will eventually get bigger and then your tank might not handle the bio-load (happened to me...a few guppies turned into dozens of guppies and tank crashed). so unless you're wanting to breed them...stick with a bunch of females...and maybe not males (they sometimes get aggressive with each other).

Jan 1, 2016
Started with 1 male and 3 females, big mistake ended up with about 3 dozen very pretty fancy guppies to rehome. All males just caused the 2 largest to pick on everyone else. Went to 1 large male mollie in 55 gallon community tank, he picks on everybody. Some fish like people are bullies.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you've only got the one molly, and he's a male, often the problem is that he's horny and frustrated, so he will pester everyone around. Options are to swap him for a female, or add 2-3 females (adding only one causes him to constantly pester just the one female, 2-3 spreads out his "attention"). Of course, adding any female mollies will also lead to them overpopulating like your guppies are working on... And adding only a female and removing the male usually doesn't change that, because usually the female is already preggers...

Alternatively, making sure there are lots of good hiding spaces and different areas where there can be territories can give the other fish the cover they need so they aren't being harassed by the molly. Make sure there are lots of spaces for a fish to dart into for cover.