Cycling question

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Put a couple drops in, and then test the water to see if it is up to 5ppm. Once it is up there, let the tank sit for a couple of days at 85 degrees, then test for nitrites. You should start to see nitrite readings after a few days (3-5), keep the ammonia levels up at 5ppm until you can add the ammonia and have it disappear in the readings. Do a large water change, then you are ready for some fish! (one at a time of course!)

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Alright sounds good. I'm picking up the ammonia tomorrow to add in the tank and I will crank up the heat.
I will definitely be adding the fish very slowly once I begin to add them in. Thanks for the info missfishy. I knew you would be able to come to the rescue :D

ZooKeeper

Small Fish
Jan 12, 2008
My 75gal has been on the cycle for 3 weeks now. Finally seeing the nitrites build up. Ammonia levels are and have been low - under 1 ppm. One thing that you might do is obtain a sponge filter from an established tank and squeeze it out into your new tank. That will help get the biological beasties going. Once I see nitrites, I toss in a few floating plants as well - I usually end up tossing plants out as I have too much.

Ed

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 5

Ok so it seems my cycle is done. My ammonia is gone within 24 hours. I'm going to be adding some plants today but would it also be safe to go ahead and add in 2 or 3 neon tetras now as well? Should I wait for a little bit after I introduce plants into my tank before I add the fish?

Last edited:

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well I think I should be good since I do have the nitrates up which is what I need in order to get rid of the ammonia and nitrites. I will wait a little longer before I head out to the LFS to see if I get any more replies, but I will probably get a couple of neons unless somebody says no.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
WOW! I just tested my tanks! My 55 is in great shape...my 5 still has some nitrates but my 29 must have spun into a mini cycle! It's off the charts! Nitrates all over the place! So, its water change time here soon!!

Edit: Dont forget the chicken