Cycling Question

owl24

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2016
I'm keeping the temperature in my tank around 82 degrees to help speed up the cycle, but this has caused the water in my tank to evaporate and now the water is around 2 inches lower than it was when I started. Can I add water to the tank to bring the water level back up?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
You can absolutely add water when ever needed. Just be sure to use a dechlorinator. If you're doing a fishless cycle by adding ammonia, keep the temperature cranked up to mid-high 80s if you can get it there. Keep the ammonia dosed to 3-5ppm and wait for your nitrite spike. It can take weeks.

owl24

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2016
You can absolutely add water when ever needed. Just be sure to use a dechlorinator. If you're doing a fishless cycle by adding ammonia, keep the temperature cranked up to mid-high 80s if you can get it there. Keep the ammonia dosed to 3-5ppm and wait for your nitrite spike. It can take weeks.
Okay! I'm doing the cycle by adding pure ammonia....however I have some Amazon Swords in my tank so I didn't want to crank the temperature up to high so I comprised by putting the temperature at 82. Would the Amazons be okay with the higher temperatures?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Amazon swords are tough as nails. Mid-high 80s wouldn't negatively effect them. Problem with Amazon Swords is, one they take-off, they get huge. I mistakenly started one in a 10g. Moved it to one of my 55s and I have to cut it back or it would outgrow a 55g. I wish you luck and lots of patience with the fishless cycle by adding ammonia. This is how I started back in the hobby in ~2012. It was a long process for me. I would search high/low for good used filtration media to start a new tank up now (if I didn't already have tanks to swap filters around in). If you're in the Buffalo NY area, I'd give you a sponge bubbler filter and you'd be off and running, ready to stock.

owl24

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2016
Nope, sorry! I live in PA. But thanks for the advice! I already have been cycling my tank for 2 weeks, so at least I have a good start! :)