damaged tank

Sep 22, 2008
i recently purchased a used tank, which i think is around 55 gal. when i got it home i noticed a chunk knocked out of the bottom of the side panel of glass. it does not appear to be a hole or cracked, just missing a chunk. i have yet to leak test it. i plan on leak testing it this weekend when i get home.

since i am new to the fish world what do you suggest i do? should i replace the damaged pane of glass? or can i repair it?

thanks for the help...

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I've seen lots of older tanks that look like little slices have been taken out of the corners, and normally it's not a big deal. I guess it really depends on if the silicone was damaged, and if the missing chunk is going to end up causing problems. I would fill up the tank outside on a flat surface and as it sits there look for any bulging or any signs of weakness around the missing piece. This might give you some indication of how stable that area is.

Sep 22, 2008
i put the water in yesterday and it seems to be working well. now the next problem is what all do i need to make it operational? filters, gravel, plants, all that good stuff. mainly what kind of filter do you guys recommend for this size of tank.

thanks