Dead fish

marcel

Small Fish
Mar 4, 2010
Hey All

My fish has been doing great for the last two months, i do a 40- 50% water change once a week. Last week i got two cory cats and after two days the one past away, yestaday one of my cardinals past away and i saw that my plecostemis (once the pleco went a nibbled on my gourami but he survived) was nibbling on it. I'm concerned now because i dont want the other fish to die. Im going to do the water change today. Should i move the pleco into another tank because of his aggresiveness? bacteria in my water? please help.

thanks

marcel

Small Fish
Mar 4, 2010
Hi Orange

I have a 45L, 10-12g i tink. I cant give you the other details because im at work now. The Ph is 6.8 (constant ph )

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Your tank is WAY overstocked. Plecos belong in at least a 55 gallon tank. Please show us your specific water parameters and list the types of fish and how many of each type are in your tank. pH is the least important at the moment. What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate???

marcel

Small Fish
Mar 4, 2010
Hi littletank

Ok i cant give you the other readings because i dont have the equipment but i located a LPS that stocks ammonia and nitrates test kits, im geting those tomorrow then ill give you guys the readings. Currenty i did a 50% water change. The fish in my tank- 6 cardinals, 4 dwarf gouramis,albino cory cat,pleco( had him since day one)2 snails. i had 2 silver dollars but moved them into a another tank.I posted a pic on rate my tank. Hope this is enough info 4 you.

Feb 27, 2009
I agree that the tank is overstocked (about 300% of stocking). I'd suggest either getting a larger tank or re-homing some fish. No amount of cleaning the tank will make up for overcrowding.

Last edited:

marcel

Small Fish
Mar 4, 2010
Thanks Orange, i will re- home a few of them today, if a had to keep the 6cardinals and 4gouramis would the tank still be overstocked? Anyway yestaday i did the water change and this morning when i checked all the fish was still there.

Amazingly while all this drama is happening in the tank, my plants are growing like mad. Its looks like my fern doubled in size.

Thank you again Orange & Little tank

marcel

Small Fish
Mar 4, 2010
Hi littletank

The silver dollars are in a big tank L=1.8M, H=45CM, W=45CM

Yeah i will me getting the liquid test kits, its a tetra make.

marcel

Small Fish
Mar 4, 2010
Hi Orange

I kept the cardinals, gourami's ,snails and the cory. I got the test kits an hour ago. The readings are: ammonia - 0 and nitrite - 0.1.

marcel

Small Fish
Mar 4, 2010
Hi Littletank

I cound not purchase the nitrate kit because the LPS were outerstock,
update- no dead fish and the fish thats left looks extra colourful esp. the gourami's

marcel

Small Fish
Mar 4, 2010
bubbles

Hi Guys

Today when i fed the fish i noticed that a cluster of small bubbles on the water surface around the plant and one of the gouramis always hangs out at that specific plant, could it be a bubble nest?