Dirty Water

sony

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2004
Visit site
Hi, guys:

It’s been a month since I started this topic.

I have experienced Brown Algae and Green Water. The water is better now, no more green water .But still I got something like fog in the top layer of water. Is that algae or something else?

Thanks

Sony

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
fog? as in bacterial bloom fog?

I have some sorta oily film/spots on the top of my water. strange..since I have no fish in it yet..just plants. anyone know what it could be??

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
the oily film should go with surface aggitation, like from the filter dumping the water into the tank...i don't know about aeration if that helps as well.

for quick removal you can either skim it with a papertowel or hold a cup so that the top edge of the cup only sucks in surface water. These quick removal solutions are only temporary.

How are your test readings?

Bacteria blooms are usually tank-wide( and white cloudy), not just at the top. Is the glass foggy? I get angry cause I think the tank is dirty, then I wipe the glass down and realize it wasn't the water at all.

sony

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2004
Visit site
Because I just had green water, so I feed them once a day, and do water change weekly.

the glass is ok, not foggy.

If I keep light on for 30 min, I can see clearly that fog staff getting more and more, and flowing with water agitation.

Idea?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
If you use a spray bar on your return adjust it to break the water surface. This will increase the surface agitation and should resolve the issue with the film on the surface.

If you don't use a spray bar, try getting a small HOB power filter. I have a small one on my 45 gallon and it works great dispite the small size of the filter. Plus it never hurts to have more filtration.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The film isn't necessarily from overfeeding...sometimes it can just be from the food that you feed and not enough surface agitation. When it annoys me too bad I lower the water level for awhile to break it all up.

freshyyf

Small Fish
May 10, 2005
One of the trick to get the clear water is to put activated carbon to your filter. You will be amazed of how quick the process. They will trap the small particles as well as the color dye. Some type may even absorb the harmful components in the water. The only drawback is that you have to replace every month and it cannot be used if with medication as it will absorb all the medication.

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
I have activated in mine and it looks the same as when I didn't, IMO.

Is that brown stuff just free floating?
If it is attached and on stuff as your pictures seem to illustrate, it could be diatoms...which happen in new tanks, you wipe them off and after a time they go away. I had it, no biggie, not like algae!

Did you get the white cloudiness to go away?