DIY CO2 Diffuser

Feb 27, 2009
What does the ladder do? I mean, how does it make the DIY CO2 better? And how did you make it?
The ladder just delays the time it takes for the bubble of CO2 to reach the surface. Since the water is lower in CO2, the bubble will dissolve into the water. The longer the bubble is in contact with the water, the more the water can dissolve (basically eats away at the outside edge of the bubble, making it smaller as it 'rises' in the ladder).

The ladder is a series of plastic shelves that wind around the front and back of the center plastic plate. The shelves prevent the bubble from just rising to the surface directly, but force it to stay underwater longer.

Some of my fish play with the bubbles, which is cute!

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
my gourami was checking it out earlier but now its old news. I've now placed it pretty close to the downpour of my HOB hoping that the agitated water will grab the CO2 just like it does with O2. Maybe I should take daily pics of my plants to see the progress.:D

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
it took a while but I got impatient and shook the bottle. It fizzed like crazy for a bit but it settled after that. Just remember not to fill the bottle with water. The mixture will rise into the airline. Half-full is fine.

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
oh don't do the ladder thing. Somehow the contraption built so much pressure that even the mixture went up the airline. wait for the pics that I'll be posting soon. I'd take some pics tonight but a certain someone uprooted some of the plants. bad Jani the pleco:rolleyes:.I'll be replanting them tomorrow.*SUPERSMIL

I'll take a vid, too, as soon as I find my point-and-shoot lol.

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
Please note that the ladder I was referring to was a diy not company manufactured. I only made a note of this for the reason that I had explained how I made my diy diffuser on a previous post and neglected to update that I had to get rid of that diy ladder.